Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Can anyone please shed some light on a small problem I have? At the moment I am not able to use Adobe Photoshop and therefore cannot convert my condensed MP's to MB's to make sure the size of 17MB size is in keeping with Alamy requirements. Somewhere, a while ago, someone sent me a simple equation that works this out. Does anyone have that information or any other way? Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your camera is 6MP or over the images are big enough for Alamy assuming you don't crop. If you do, stay above 6MP, or about 3000x2000. I use 3250 as the minimum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

If your camera is 6MP or over the images are big enough for Alamy assuming you don't crop. If you do, stay above 6MP, or about 3000x2000. I use 3250 as the minimum.

Thanks. You hit the spot. Now I have to go through all my shots and dig out all those above 6MP and there are quite a few. Unfortunately I am with another outfit who deal only in MP - thier rule being all pics must be at least 4MP. Great advice. Thanks a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ray Stone said:

Can anyone please shed some light on a small problem I have? At the moment I am not able to use Adobe Photoshop and therefore cannot convert my condensed MP's to MB's to make sure the size of 17MB size is in keeping with Alamy requirements. Somewhere, a while ago, someone sent me a simple equation that works this out. Does anyone have that information or any other way? Thank you. 

 

The simple formula for practical purposes is Size in MB = 3 x Size in MP.

 

So a 6MP file is 18MB (for an 8 bit image).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

If your camera is 6MP or over the images are big enough for Alamy assuming you don't crop. If you do, stay above 6MP, or about 3000x2000. I use 3250 as the minimum.

 

When taking pictures on my Nikon which uses a 4:3 aspect ratio, this is exactly the same minimum value that I use for the long side when cropping/downsizing.

But my new Sony RX100 uses an aspect ratio of 3:2 so although i still use 3250 as a guide, I could potentially use a different number.

 

4 hours ago, Sally said:

You can always use Alamy Sizechecker to check your photos before uploading to be sure

 

http://www.braeside.plus.com/photography/alamy/alamy.html

 

Yes.. I use this too... a very handy free little utility to check any images that I've cropped and so am a little unsure about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Matt. I am well in on most of my pics. I have a Nikon too. Obliged to you and other members for your advice. Now all I have to do is get working. Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

 

When taking pictures on my Nikon which uses a 4:3 aspect ratio, this is exactly the same minimum value that I use for the long side when cropping/downsizing.

But my new Sony RX100 uses an aspect ratio of 3:2 so although i still use 3250 as a guide, I could potentially use a different number.

 

 

 

Sorry but most of your images appear to be 3:2. That's what I was quoting for. I didn't know Nikon did a 4:3.

3250x2163 is my default 3:2 downsize for high ISO. About 6.7MP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Sorry but most of your images appear to be 3:2. That's what I was quoting for. I didn't know Nikon did a 4:3.

3250x2163 is my default 3:2 downsize for high ISO. About 6.7MP.

 

Hmm.. now you've made me google the specs of my camera for a second time today! :-) You know i think you're right.. I think I found bad information the first time I looked today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem, of course 3:2 is the standard from 35mm. film. It's second nature to think of it as standard. Even though I had a 4:3 p&s for five years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.