I knew that in some instances, not all tags are displayed in the comp while all are visible in AIM.

Out of curiosity, I contacted CR asking for a reason for it.

The reply was: "We include most tags on the image comp but we remove duplicates, rude words (or words that could produce inappropriate images), stop words etc. All tags on an image are searchable even if the tag isn't displayed on the image comp".

I am struggling to understand:

1. Alamy removing incorrect keywords?? I must be misinterpreting what is being said.

2. How can tags still be searchable if they have been removed because inappropriate?  

To top it all, I asked why my tag "nobody" had been removed. 

Reply: "We imagine it's because it contains 'body'" !!!

Perhaps 'body' is err.... rude?? (97 pages of searches for 'nobody' in the past year)

Anyone has a better grasp than me?

Gen

14 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I knew that in some instances, not all tags are displayed in the comp while all are visible in AIM.

Out of curiosity, I contacted CR asking for a reason for it.

The reply was: "We include most tags on the image comp but we remove duplicates, rude words (or words that could produce inappropriate images), stop words etc. All tags on an image are searchable even if the tag isn't displayed on the image comp".

I am struggling to understand:

1. Alamy removing incorrect keywords?? I must be misinterpreting what is being said.

2. How can tags still be searchable if they have been removed because inappropriate?  

To top it all, I asked why my tag "nobody" had been removed. 

Reply: "We imagine it's because it contains 'body'" !!!

Perhaps 'body' is err.... rude?? (97 pages of searches for 'nobody' in the past year)

Anyone has a better grasp than me?

Gen

Totally unsure, but I'll give it a go! 

To answer #2 first: the tags may well be removed from display, but that doesn't mean they have been removed. They will remain searchable. 

#1: I think that duplicates has a lot more to do with older images where there are many keywords (tags) which have been duplicated either deliberately or in error. Again, these will be filtered out for display purposes - no point in a customer seeing multiple tags repeated on a page. 

I have a feeling (nothing more) that the individual who gave you the advice was grasping at straws. Doubtless there are idiots who have placed totally inappropriate tags in their Images and the search system will (quite rightly) remove these from display. Not the market Alamy wants. But removing 'nobody' because it contains 'body'?! :lol: Sounds like little more than a wild guess to me. If it is so, then - as they say, it still remains searchable. 

Yes the removed tags are still searchable, I have tested it, I don't dispute it.

In my case, the other removed tags 'Borneo' and 'Canopy' were duplicates in the sense that they were also included in the caption. No problem.

But I am puzzled why Alamy would bother removing 'inappropriate or rude' tags if they are still searchable according to them.

Anyway, not a big deal, just idle curiosity.

Gen

Hmmm. I put "nobody" in almost all of my wildlife images and I see that it seems to have been removed from mine too. Maybe it has something to do with the ability to click on a keyword that shows in order to see more images of that subject. Maybe "nobody" isn't useful??? I don't know. I wonder if there are other words commonly used that don't show.

Paulette

3 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Hmmm. I put "nobody" in almost all of my wildlife images and I see that it seems to have been removed from mine too. Maybe it has something to do with the ability to click on a keyword that shows in order to see more images of that subject. Maybe "nobody" isn't useful??? I don't know. I wonder if there are other words commonly used that don't show.

Paulette

97 pages of searches (20 hits a page) for '%nobody' in the past year. It IS very useful.

Remember, even removed, it is still searchable though.

The whole thing is a mystery to me.

Gen

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Yes the removed tags are still searchable, I have tested it, I don't dispute it.

In my case, the other removed tags 'Borneo' and 'Canopy' were duplicates in the sense that they were also included in the caption. No problem.

But I am puzzled why Alamy would bother removing 'inappropriate or rude' tags if they are still searchable according to them.

Anyway, not a big deal, just idle curiosity.

Gen

I would imagine that (for example), there may well be a customer searching for certain body parts for uses relating to health issues. They would expect to be able to perform a search using these terms, but most users would not want to see these terms displayed or automatic suggestions given - and a limited number might be very unhappy about it.

Wild example perhaps? But you get the picture? 

1 hour ago, losdemas said:

I would imagine that (for example), there may well be a customer searching for certain body parts for uses relating to health issues. They would expect to be able to perform a search using these terms, but most users would not want to see these terms displayed or automatic suggestions given - and a limited number might be very unhappy about it.

Wild example perhaps? But you get the picture? 

Wild - LOL .

Look for Cyanistes (or Parus) caeruleus.

wim

5 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Wild - LOL .

Look for Cyanistes (or Parus) caeruleus.

wim

What's your point? (joking ;)).

Ironically, (not me, this time) the first image in that search includes 'nobody' as a tag. Probably because it's included as part of a multi-word tag. 

EDIT: Even some names can be removed. Julie Andrew's sidekick in Mary Poppins, for example. I'm sure that we can all think of many more examples, which could be fun, but I imagine that the forum has its own screening and I don't want to sit on the naughty step. :)

Archived