Hi, I haven't uploaded or checked my Alamy account for quite a while, but now want to start using my Alamy account again. I've just logged in to see that many of my previously qc passed photos are marked as being poor discoverability. My keywording seemed to be ok before, any ideas on how I can improve my discoverability? (My pics are not hat good - I'm no competition to you guys :-)) 

My advice is not to worry about "Discovery". It means nothing in the big scheme of things and it's time Alamy acknowledged that and changed the terminology. If you feel your keywording is accurate then leave it at that and produce good quality images instead.

I am not that experienced but I have come to the same conclusion as Sultanpepa and now try, sometimes vainly, to resist the temptation to go for max discoverability by inserting keywords that  are only loosely associated with the subject. If I am right I think there is a scenario where that can actually work against you and affect your place in the pecking order. Can anyone confirm that or explain how that works.  

2 hours ago, Futterwithtrees said:

I am not that experienced but I have come to the same conclusion as Sultanpepa and now try, sometimes vainly, to resist the temptation to go for max discoverability by inserting keywords that  are only loosely associated with the subject. If I am right I think there is a scenario where that can actually work against you and affect your place in the pecking order. Can anyone confirm that or explain how that works.  

Images with irrelevant tags will appear in correspondingly irrelevant searches with no chance of being zoomed. This will lower your ranking.

I've changed my view on this recently. While you should certainly avoid misleading or inaccurate tags, I feel that you should exploit the facilities offered by AIM to the full. Take a look at customer searches and you will find the commonly used search terminology, many of these expressions are not obvious if you are new to this game. It is clearly advantageous to include a good selection of these key terms or phrases.

In addition, while the jury is still out over the usefulness of longer phrases, I do make use of them. 

For the past several weeks I have been looking in detail at the searches on my own photos, and rarely does a working day pass when I don't find a phrase or tag that I should have used more universally. 

The 50 tag limit can be a bit of a problem, but often I find that I have duplicate tags, inherited from the previous image manager,  which can be deleted, or I can usefully concatenate tags to form phrases within the limit.

The result of this activity has been that the number of my photos appearing as having good discoverability has increased substantially, it's still a small minority of my collection, but growing. Whether or not this will result in improved sales, who knows, but this game is becoming more competitive by the day and you need to take every possible step to stay ahead.

Archived