Laptop with decent screen for editing

It looks like i'm going to be in the UK longer than i had anticipated. My photo editing PC is back

in Spain and i only have a netbook with me; far from ideal for editing RAW files. I've installed

Lightroom but it's deathly slow. I've uploaded (and sold) a few images via Live News and regular

stock but it's a watching paint dry process using Lightroom on a netbook.

I'm thinking of buying a laptop with a bit more umph and better screen. Any recommendations

in the 400 - 500 GBP range? Are there any decent photo editing laptop screens in this price range?

Thanks

Joe

I bought a Samsung Chromebook and used it when I was on a trip in Scotland for a couple off months with Lightroom. It's not available now but this version looks pretty similar http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-NP510R5E-A01UK-Series-15-6-inch-Laptop/dp/B00CFE0XII/ref=sr_1_9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1377645514&sr=1-9&keywords=samsung+laptop

Thanks, Bobbster and Arterra.

Looks like i'm going to be making frequent visits to the UK over the next year, so maybe i'll look

at a laptop/monitor option. Monitor can stay here in the UK.

RX100/netbook combo is producing sales, also tempted to stick with this setup given the number of

image i'll need to sell to pay for the laptop/monitor.

Joe

Looking at my early portfolio it definitely suffers from lack of a good calibrated monitor,but I still had sales. I would consider a laptop with the best possible screen and calibrate it every time I used it with Spider or similar for ambient light. I believe this to be the best work round.

Good luck

Joe

I use an Acer laptop (bottom of line model) and although it does a just job, if I have too many images in Photoshop, it bogs down and runs very slow. Going to upgrade this fall.

I attach a 32" RCA flatscreen TV to use as a monitor. Its fab for editing, which I do with a wacom tablet. Any of you guys use those? I love it.

Jill

Any recommendations

in the 400 - 500 GBP range? Are there any decent photo editing laptop screens in this price range?

Thanks

Joe

I'm afraid there are none.

I sometimes have to finetune the images of several photographers who work for Arterra. One of them only uses a laptop. His work looks like being done by 10 different people on 10 different computers. Why? Because each time you open your laptop, you look at your screen at a slightly different angle which give you a slightly different brightness. Also, because of the freedom to work anywhere you want, the ambient light differs each time you sit somewhere else, resulting in yet another brightness / contrast on your screen.

The only good way to post-process your images in a professional way (don't forget we work for ..... professionals) is with a desktop computer, a good quality video card, a good calibrated monitor and under the same lighting conditions which should be in the dark. If you're really obsessed (I'm not ;)) your walls should be painted in grey and you should wear a black t-shirt to get real consistent results.

On the other hand, does it all matter for the peanuts we get nowadays? :unsure: I have the feeling I'm spending way too much time compared to what I get in return.

Cheers,

Philippe

I've got 35 black T-shirts, Philippe . . . so I'm ready to go. 

You're spot on about not doing PP on a laptop. I would just use a laptop to download the RAW images and save a second copy on a portable HD. 

"You're spot on about not doing PP on a laptop. I would just use a laptop to download the RAW images and save a second copy on a portable HD"

Same here! Only use my laptop for keywording and research, but never for post-processing.

Cheers,

Philippe

Same here. I use a MacBook air 11" for traveling, uploading images to a 1tb usb drive. From there I sort out which files I want, keyword and sometimes apply grads if I need to balance out land / sky. But, i never try to do anything with colour balance etc until I get it on a large monitor and fine tuning etc. 

Archived