A Question for Traveling Photographers

I just suggested a Sony W710 P&S camera to a friend to bring with her on a trip to England. She's just doing personal snaps. These things are amazingly cheap now days—$88 from Amazon. 

My information is a bit stall, so I'm wondering if all she will need is a simple conversion plug to plug in her battery recharger, that the recharger itself will adjust from 60 to 50 cycles and 110 to 120 or whatever. She will not be bring a computer with her. 

Am I correct in my assumptions? 

Thanks

I just suggested a Sony W710 P&S camera to a friend to bring with her on a trip to England. She's just doing personal snaps. These things are amazing cheap now days—$88 from Amazon. 

My information is a bit stall, so I'm wondering if all she will need is a simple conversion plug to plug in her battery recharger, that the recharger itself will adjust from 60 to 50 cycles and 110 to 120 or whatever. She will not be bring a computer with her. 

Am I correct in my assumptions? 

Thanks

The "whatever" in the UK is 230v. Used to be 240 but was lowered to 230. So if the charger will do 230/240 it is OK.

Allan

Most all chargers these days are designed for multiple frequencies and voltages - especially things made for travel (like cameras!).  The Sony W710 is no exception - voltage range is 100-240v and frequency is 50-60 hertz.

All she will need is an adapter to get from her charger plug configuration to the UK standard - no transformer necessary.  So it sounds like your assumptions are correct.

Cheers!

Jeff Greenberg has fried a few of these, but modern ones operate on both voltages as long as they are switch-mode (the lightweight ones with no heavy transformer). If it doesn't say on the case that it's universal, it mustn't be plugged into a UK socket or it will fry.

Edit_ looks like the US spec model has a universal charger.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666521727#specifications

Archived