Jump to content

how to save larger files from Lightroom


Recommended Posts

So I am brand new to this, am just trying to upload my first 3 images for QC. But I am doing something wrong. Keep getting "upload error" message but there is no further details what the error is?!

 

I'm assuming it is file size, the RAW files say they are like 48,000KB and when I've edited in Lightroom and saved as JPEG they end up as around 8,800KB and I don't know how to make the file any larger....I've tried increasing the PPI and it made no difference
 

I am saving from Lightroom as JPEG, I've checked the metadata is attached, it is in sRGB, 100% quality, 300 PPI, no added sharpening.....

 

Can anyone tell me what to do?

Thank you!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Becca,

 

I only shoot NEF (Nikon Raw) and convert my NEF files in Lightroom to TIFF's at 7360 by at 300DPI, I used to convert to 16bit TIFF's, but now just go to 8bit.  I only work in aRGB color unless a commercial client requests 16bit TIFF files, with Nikon D800's that produces a 200+MB file.  I also occasionally do web ready images at 1050 by at 96DPI in sRGB color.  For Alamy I Shoot as NEF, convert in Lightroom to full sized 8bit TIFF's in aRGB color.  From the TIFF files I do my final cropping and IPTC information and then save as a full sized JPEG, again in aRGB color.

Don't know what DSLR body (s) you are using, but the NIKON D800 produces much larger files than Alamy requires.

 

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, beccaAnne said:

So I am brand new to this, am just trying to upload my first 3 images for QC. But I am doing something wrong. Keep getting "upload error" message but there is no further details what the error is?!

 

I'm assuming it is file size, the RAW files say they are like 48,000KB and when I've edited in Lightroom and saved as JPEG they end up as around 8,800KB and I don't know how to make the file any larger....I've tried increasing the PPI and it made no difference
 

I am saving from Lightroom as JPEG, I've checked the metadata is attached, it is in sRGB, 100% quality, 300 PPI, no added sharpening.....

 

Can anyone tell me what to do?

Thank you!!

 

PPI (pixels per inch) has nothing to do with this. It's only used for printing.

 

Using the AlamySizeCheck can be a help in the beginning, but I don't think it has been updated since the minimum size at Alamy was 24 Mb - now 17 Mb - so you should be awake.

 

Otherwise an image of 3000 x 2000 pixels should be fine in minimum size.

 

Be sure you save in best quality as JPG baseline (standard).

 

If your camera on the computer is active, be sure your hair is neatly brushed. Morning hair may turn you down :):P

 

Niels

Edited by Niels Quist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Becca,

 

You seem to be doing the correct procedure. I'am quite sure that 8,800KB is the same as 8.8MB which is more that enough. I sometimes get that message "upload error" in Red. What I would suggest to do is either try again say tomorrow or if you have no joy sent a email to Alamy. They are very very good in dealing with these matter.

 

Alan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Niels Quist said:

 

Using the AlamySizeCheck can be a help in the beginning, but I don't think it has been updated since the minimum size at Alamy was 24 Mb - now 17 Mb - so you should be awake.

 

 

 

Yes it has been updated -

 

Release Notes:
1.1.7 Feb 2015
Red for less than 17MB (fail), 
Magenta for 17 to 24MB, Blue for 24 to 48MB, Green for 48MB and above.

 

 

Quote

so you should be awake

 

Definitely helps to be awake when using the computer.....:D  (sorry, couldn't resist - I assume you meant aware).

Edited by Vincent Lowe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

 

Yes it has been updated -

 

Release Notes:
1.1.7 Feb 2015
Red for less than 17MB (fail), 
Magenta for 17 to 24MB, Blue for 24 to 48MB, Green for 48MB and above.

 

 

 

Definitely helps to be awake when using the computer.....:D  (sorry, couldn't resist - I assume you meant aware).

 

Thanks, Vincent, for both :) - I better update then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help! I saved them using 3000x2000 pixels as @Niels Quist suggested and in aRGB as @Chuck Nacke & @Vincent Lowe suggested and tried again this morning and they went through! Yay! the file size is smaller than I was previously trying to upload, so maybe the problem was they were too large not too small?! anyway, huzzah! they are in :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't confuse file size with image size- 3Kx2K is the minimum image size. As Chuck suggests no DLSR produces files too big for Alamy. Your native size is fine. Some of us downsize a bit for QC reasons, especially high ISO images, but that's a distinct issue.

 

Edited by spacecadet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.