Do verticals get missed due to size?

Jill Morgan

As I wander through images pages, I notice that due to the format, landscape images tend to dominate the page over verticals simply due to the way images are displayed.  I was wondering if verticals should be next to verticals and landscapes next to landscapes per page.  Verticals first, then the landscapes.  Wouldn't really have a bit affect on rank, and buyers may notice the verticals more when they aren't competing with landscape images for space.

Image space devoted to verticals is about half of that of the landscapes.  Do good vertical images simply get missed?  

Jill

I think you are right, Jill, that verticals can be easily overlooked because they are so much smaller than landscape format. I tend to console myself with the thought that we are all in the same boat and that people who are buying will, in many cases, be looking for a specific space to fill, which may be vertical.

Some photo websites do use variable sizes to give more space to verticals. I guess it is a technical and possibly asthetic matter. It may be that the neat rows of images are easier to search for the pic editor scanning dozens of pages.

`I haven't done a detailed study on it, but when looking for my own images in a search, I'll miss seeing a vertical.  

Some images of course lend themselves to either one form or another.   Only 10% of sales over the past year have been vertical but then, I do have to admit most of my images are landscape, so that may be right based on my port.  I will have to see if the percentages match.

After checking, approximately 25% of my images rare vertical (more than I thought).  So sales show a preference for landscapes in my port.

Jill

Verticals probably do get short-changed. I wish that my horizontals and verticals of the same subject would show up next to each other in search results. Doesn't seem to happen very often.

However, a quick look at my sales over the past year suggest that at least 40% of them were verticals -- October sales: 6 horizontals and 6 verticals.

Archived