Best, quickest way to delete images

I've got a major cull going on of my images and I'm wondering about the best and quickest way to do this. I've seen one recommendation to transfer all the ones I want to delete to a new pseudonym.  This seems to make sense but is there any consensus on this?

In the past I've removed all keywords and captions before I've hit the delete button, assuming that this would make the image invisible to searches. Removing keywords was easy, you could do it by lassoing, but removing tags has to be done one tag at a time and is very time consuming. I have at least a 1000 to delete.   Is it enough to just remove the caption, which is a mandatory field, to remove it from search results?  

Any other ways to quickly, efficiently, delete?

Thanks for any advice.

G

Alamy deprecate deletion by changing annotations. Just ticking the box will get rid of them soon enough. They disappear from search within a month or two.

But no, just removing the caption doesn't stop an image coming up in a search- after all captions have a lower search significance than tags.

Probably no consensus and staying just with facts. 

Once you deleted an image

• You will not be able to edit the image information anymore 
  • If you happen to have keywords in the picture that may be misleading, you will not be able to correct
  • Images do still appear in searches, as if they were not deleted (I do not know if this a for a 1 month period only, as spacecadet suggests) 
  • As a result this may potentially be counterproductive to your CTR if the image is unlikely to be zoomed  

Are you sure  Alamy would have a problem with tags being removed.   I am am removing irrelevant tags of images I am keeping.  Is this frowned upon?  I'm trying to reduce my similars and make my tags more relevant in the hope of getting more zooms and more sales.  Surely alamy would applaud this?  

No thoughts on creating a separate pseudo?

Alamy want to keep the images to be deleted for 6 months in case they sit in a buyer's lightbox.

If all keywords are deleted, once the buyer is ready, he might not be able to find the image again. Alamy once said it happens all the time.

That's why they frown  upon deleting ALL keywords and captions.

I do use another pseudo for my images to be deleted.

Gen

Hi all

Yes, you would be in breach of your contract by deleting all tags and captions as a 'quick way' to delete images. Please do not do this. 

If you have a large number of images that need removing and you don't want to locate them all in Alamy Image Manager, you can send an email to contributors@alamy.com with a list of image references and we can process this for you. 

Thanks

Alamy

Ok!  Spacecadet I'll never question your authority again!  

Thanks for the definitive reply alamy.  

So my thought now is to transfer all the ones I want to delete into a new pseudo and then I can ask alamy to delete everything in there.    This way my main pseudo becomes leaner and will help my CTR.  

11 minutes ago, Graham Hardy said:

Ok!  Spacecadet I'll never question your authority again!  

Don't be fooled by the "furniture" thing in my profile. No such thing as authority here, only experience, occasionally!

Anyway that's not how I took it. No problem.

So - I've made a first sweep through my images and culled 750 of them.   I created a trash pseudo and put them in there for the time being, while I go through them and make sure I've not trashed any I meant to keep. I'm also wondering if I should delete them myself, rather than asking Alamy to do it.  That way they will be deleted in 6 months, wont drag my main pseudo CTR down, but in the meantime will still be available if a buyer prefers one of them.  Sensible?

I also created an old news pseudo and moved all my news images into there.  My reasoning being that I probably want to keep news photos,  (as, with time, news becomes archive) but I don't want specific news events, like "Hebden Bridge floods", to appear in searches  for more editorial searches such as "Hebden Bridge landscapes".   Does this make sense?

My CTR dropped form .31 to .2, but today has gone back up to .30.  I cant figure out if removing images affects the CTR like this.  As I understand it each pseudo has its own ranking, but by moving images around I'm not clear how this affects my main pseudo, any thoughts anyone?

Right I need to go and stare at something more than 18 inches away...

Archived