Is Fotoquote Accurate?

I've been playing with fotoquote software recently and I'm curious if the feelings are that it is accurate.  It seems to me that 50% of the quote seems realistic....but then again, I'm usually on the 50% receiving end because I'm licensing through agencies.

Any thoughts or experiences?

I understand that Photoshelter use the software in their Website application.  I seem to recall reading a number of opinions re: the default pricing, concurring with what you suggest ("It seems to me that 50% of the quote seems realistic").  Perhaps start with a higher quote to give some manoeuvring space?

Forgive the vagueness of my reply!

I use 55% of FQ on my PhotoShelter website, but sales have almost completely dried up this year. Last year I made a $650 -- of which I got to keep 90% -- corporate website sale directly through my PS site. Chances are pretty slim of that ever happening again, I'm sure.

P.S. 100% FQ would have been accurate in the 1990's.

I use Fotoquote regularly- As to weather or not the prices given in the application are 'valid' is largely a question of what you shoot, who your clients are, and how much you value your own images.

I regularly submit quotes using nearly 100% of given rates (sometimes higher!). There are of course some clients who walk away. Many more who accept the prices I ask. The big benefit of licensing direct is just that: You make the calls. You value your own images, and you decide how much each individual sale is worth for you.

If the client doesn't like it, they may walk away. So you have to decide if it's worth having x sales for 100% or y sales at 50%... But if the price is justified based on usage, and the client wants the image, you will be surprised what people can and do still pay for RM images (low pricing gripes on Alamy excluded).

-Jason

Some interesting responses.  I am migrating my two websites over to one Photoshelter site and I will be using Fotoquote...but my thoughts around it are similar to a discussion I once had with a car salesman.  Here in the U.S., we have either the "Kelly Blue Book" or the "N.A.D.A. Book" of what a car is worth based on year, make, model, mileage, etc.  It is supposed to be an index of the market.  I once had a car dealer quote me a price on the car I was trading in.  My response was "That's much less than Kelly Blue Book" and his response was "Well then, go sell your car to Kelly Blue Book".  He made a good point that day - if a buyer isn't willing to pay that, then you aren't going to sell it for the index price.

That's the basis of my question.  Fotoquote is not going to license my images....so experiences based on the index are much appreciated.

I use 55% of FQ on my PhotoShelter website

John, do you mean you reduce the percentage by 55% on the Photoshelter pricing profiles? I've reduced mine a little but not by that much - and not that it's made any difference either.

Rgds,

Richard.

I use 55% of FQ on my PhotoShelter website

John, do you mean you reduce the percentage by 55% on the Photoshelter pricing profiles? I've reduced mine a little but not by that much - and not that it's made any difference either.

Rgds,

Richard.

No, I set the pricing at 55% (i.e. a 45% reduction). This seems to result in reasonable (to me) editorial fees. I have commercial prices set at 60% (40% reduction). Last year I did quite well on PS, with consistent print and download sales. This year has been a different story, though. I made a few print sales at the beginning of the year but nothing since than. I've had very few new customer signups as well. No doubt this has to do with the proliferation of similar hosting sites, Google search engine changes, and the general continuing deluge of images in general. I do still find my PS website useful in other ways, however, such as for delivering images and, of course, storage. Good luck.

set the pricing at 55% (i.e. a 45% reduction

Yes, that's what I meant. I think I'll re-assess my pricing and see if that triggers more interest. 

Thanks,

Richard.

Don't know if you've experienced this, but I've found that buyers often have trouble using the clumsy PS payment system (for downloads). I had one confused client telephone me while she trying to buy an image, and I had to walk her through the process as best I could. Another time I had to get PS to contact a buyer and explain the process to them. Almost lost the sale because of this. I've actually thought of removing the price calculator altogether for downloads and asking people to contact me directly for pricing info. Print-buying seems to work more smoothly.

I've lots of experience of punters not able to go through the checkout and actually download - as well as those capable of doing everything, albeit against all odds.

But mostly, like you, I've had to get home before sending then the file from my own hard drive and invoicing them direct. I did at some stage reduce my personal download price to £15 which several people are willing to consider for blogs or for the desktops. 

Never dared taking off the calculator though! 

Richard. 

I've lots of experience of punters not able to go through the checkout and actually download - as well as those capable of doing everything, albeit against all odds.

But mostly, like you, I've had to get home before sending then the file from my own hard drive and invoicing them direct. I did at some stage reduce my personal download price to £15 which several people are willing to consider for blogs or for the desktops. 

Never dared taking off the calculator though! 

Richard. 

Yes, I think it's worth keeping the calculator. You never know what/who might come along. I offered "personal use" downloads for a while but became too paranoid about people using my images for other purposes. What image size(s) do you offer for personal use?

Archived