Modification to batch edit function in new AIM

M.Chapman

I was hoping one of the benefits of the new AIM would be that I could add or delete tags across a selection of many images retrospectively.

Deletion works, but adding a new tag frequently fails because "You've exceeded the limit for tags on one or more of your selected images". As a result the new tag isn't added to any of the images.

If the batch of selected images is large, it's really difficult to find out which images already have the maximum  number of tags, making it difficult to correct the problem.

I'd like the way this function operates to be changed. I'd like to see a similar Warning message, but the new tag is added to all those images that have less than the maximum number of tags.

Then, after the next database update, it will be easy to identify which images failed to have the new tag added by doing a new search including the NOT operator.

As a purely illustrative example, suppose I want to add the tag City to all my pictures of Leicester that don't have this tag. This could then be done (relatively) easily as follows;

1. In AIM, I search for images using the search string Leicester NOT City.
  2. Select all passed images and add the new tag City. The new tag will be added to most of them, but not to those that already contain the maximum number of tags.
  3. The next day (after a database update) I can repeat the search Leicester NOT City which will then show me all the images that failed to be updated and I can take action accordingly. 

Thanks

Mark

1 hour ago, Phil Crean said:

+10000000000!

This is the biggest thing missing from the new AIM, yet it was one of the most requested things when Alamy asked what was wanted.

Phil

Exactly.

If we had the functionality of the old measures plus just this one feature it would have all been worthwhile changing the system. As it is......

John.

This has definitely been the biggest disappointment for me. There is something also off about the way the number of keywords is counted. If you have about 46 or 47 keywords on each of the images selected you would think you could add a couple more in a batch. No. You are told that you have more than 50 tags on one or more images. Not true but that's what it says and you cannot proceed.

Paulette

The most annoying thing for me is when you want to add a tag to a large batch and you are told it is ALREADY A TAG. But because they aren't in alphabetical order it can take ages (I usually give up) to find the one you want to click on. I have just been trying to annotate hundreds of tennis images, adding the year and other keywords, and I have given up in frustration.

11 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

The most annoying thing for me is when you want to add a tag to a large batch and you are told it is ALREADY A TAG. But because they aren't in alphabetical order it can take ages (I usually give up) to find the one you want to click on. I have just been trying to annotate hundreds of tennis images, adding the year and other keywords, and I have given up in frustration.

Yes - I'd love a "Display tags in alphabetic order" option. I find the jumbled layout and non-alphabetic order very difficult.

Just the fact that they are in little bubbles makes it difficult for me to sort out what I have. Plain old black text on a white background would be a blessing.

Paulette

18 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Yes - I'd love a "Display tags in alphabetic order" option. I find the jumbled layout and non-alphabetic order very difficult.

or just the option to add the tag to those images that don't already have it. If a tag can be added to all images without it by clicking on it, couldn't it also be done by typing it in the box?

Archived