Format issues

I know the minimum JPEG size is 17 mb, but whenever I convert from NEF to JPEG, at "maximum quality," it's only about 7.56mb. How do I increase the file size? Thanks

17mb is the minimum uncompressed JPEG file size required by Alamy. You are probably looking at the compressed JPG file size. To see the uncompressed size, open your JPEG file in PS and check the image size there, or try this tool

.....or if all else fails read the Alamy guidance notes.

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/guidelines-for-submitting-images/

4) JPEG file size of over 17MB (when uncompressed)
This is likely to have a compressed JPEG size of 3-5MB. Opening a JPEG in an image program such as Adobe Photoshop will show you the uncompressed (open) file size.

Unfortunately I don't have the funds to buy photoshop. Is there another way to view uncompressed size?

Yes.... Please read my post above. Use Alamy Size checker, it's free (or you can make a voluntary donation). It's available here http://www.braeside.plus.com/photography/alamy/alamy.html

If you don't want to buy Photoshop, you could try an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription, or Photoshop Elements, or a free editor like the GIMP. If you don't have any image editing software that can open an image at 100% size and allow some basic edits, you'll probably struggle to get anywhere on Alamy...

Oh, I obviously didn't see that link, my bad. I am currently using Rawtherapee as my editor and it works just fine, just not as complex as photoshop.

Oh, I obviously didn't see that link, my bad. I am currently using Rawtherapee as my editor and it works just fine, just not as complex as photoshop.

Have to say I haven't heard of Rawtherapee.  Went to the site and does look interesting, although I just can't live without my adjustment brush in ACR.

Jill

I'm sure Raw Therapee must be able to show you the uncompressed size too?

Another way to look at it is by checking the pixel dimensions. If your image contains more than about 6 million pixels it's fine for Alamy. So, for example an image that is 2000 x 3000 pixels will be fine.

On a technical note, each pixel has a red, green and blue value. Each value is stored as a "byte". Therefore a 2000 x 3000 pixel image (6,000,000 pixels) is stored in 18,000,000 bytes (which is 17.166 MB, since 1MB = 1,048,576 Bytes).

Alamy needs images over 17MB.

Or create an 8-bit TIFF file from the image. That file's size will be the same as the uncompressed JPEG size. Just do it for one image from your camera to see--all uncropped images from your camera will have the same uncompressed JPEG file size.

Mark, as a one time copyeditor, I must object to you beginning a sentence with "I'm sure" and ending it with a question mark.  :)  ;)  B)

:D  :D  :D

I was being really careful to make sure I didn't mess up my mega-bytes and mega-pixels, and look what happens. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you must have missed the rising (Australian) inflection at the end of my statement, thereby turning it into an unexpected question at the last moment?  ;)

Archived