New AIM copy keywords tip- Notepad++

Just in case it helps anyone.

Removing stray carriage returns from copied tags is very quick in Notepad++.

Install Notepad++, copy and paste tags from AIM, select replace (ctrl H), tick "extended" in search mode, find \r\n , replace with a comma. Then copy and paste back in to AIM. You don't end up with stray spaces and bullet symbols as you do with Word or Wordpad. Simples.

EDIT for clarity:

Allen said:

Thanks Mark.

I'm on iMac no notepad.

Allan

--------------------------------

You don't need to do any of this on a Mac. You can copy keywords and captions from your existing images by a main Alamy search or write new tags separated by commas all in TextEdit which is way better than Notepad (at least the last version of Notepad I used).  Just make sure that you are pasting into TextEdit as text rather than hyperlinks if you have used Alamy search. Open a new doc and go Paste and Match Style. There is no need for all the fiddly removal of carriage returns, TextEdit does it automatically.

You don't need to do any of this on a Mac. You can copy keywords and captions from your existing images by a main Alamy search or write new tags separated by commas all in TextEdit which is way better than Notepad (at least the last version of Notepad I used).  Just make sure that you are pasting into TextEdit as text rather than hyperlinks if you have used Alamy search. Open a new doc and go Paste and Match Style. There is no need for all the fiddly removal of carriage returns, TextEdit does it automatically.

I don't have a Mac, but in any case I was referring to Notepad++, not Notepad. Of course you can write new tags in Notepad- I was referring to copying existing tags from AIM.

BTW Notepad behaves in exactly the same way as you've described. AIM doesn't care about the hyperlinks.

I don't have a Mac, but in any case I was referring to Notepad++, not Notepad. Of course you can write new tags in Notepad- I was referring to copying existing tags from AIM.

I was answering Allen's comment about Macs. I know you don't have a Mac - we had the same discussion a few weeks back I recall. Notepad++ postdates my Win experience.

Carriage returns have no influence.

But it is nice to be able to include CRs in search and replace.

wim

I find that copying tags into Word from AIM introduces a CR, a bullet point and a couple of stray spaces. Only a CR in Wordpad/Notepad, but you can't find and replace them. But MDM is probably right and pasting from Allamy search is probably quicker. It's just that you have to use IM to find the reference, then go to search. An extra step. Just like going into Notepad. Anyway I'd forgotten about that method already. :wacko:

I find that copying tags into Word from AIM introduces a CR, a bullet point and a couple of stray spaces. Only a CR in Wordpad/Notepad, but you can't find and replace them. But MDM is probably right and pasting from Allamy search is probably quicker. It's just that you have to use IM to find the reference, then go to search. An extra step. Just like going into Notepad. Anyway I'd forgotten about that method already. :wacko:

I do tend to use TextEdit as an intermediate rather than pasting directly as it allows me to turn previous single word tags into multi-word tags and organise things better than working in the IM which I continue to find painful. I also have some lists of keywords and phrases in text files for easy access. Of course it would be a lot better to embed the keywords during image editing but I'm way behind with that.

Carriage returns have no influence.

But it is nice to be able to include CRs in search and replace.

wim

The bullet points do pop up in a very particular way of selecting.

If you start your selection outside and before the first star, the bullet points are included.

If you manage to leave the star out, the bullet points stay away too.

In some editors the bullet points only show itself as indents. Or probably: Word translates the indents into bullet points.

A quick test:

Start selecting the tags from the last one up and go up beyond the first star or halt just between the first star and the first keyword.

That will show the difference.

wim

edit: yet another one for the known workarounds.

Unfortunately I still get the bullets in Word that way. I can only avoid them by selecting tags one at a time. :(

Hmm. OK this is an official workaround in Word. ;-)

1. Press Ctrl+v to copy the text into your document.
  2. Press and then release Ctrl to activate the Paste Options icon.
  3. Press t to select the ‘Text only’ option (pressing t is a separate action to pressing Ctrl in step 2 — DO NOT press them together otherwise it won’t work)

wim

Just right click; then aim at the A icon and click

does the trick also.

(Mouse or pen.)

Why I'm not able to replicate initial behavior in AIM now I don't know. may have been another Word version or different document settings. Probably just a plain text document.

In other text editors however the including/excluding of the first star works just fine.

OK just found it: it's in the Word options on another machine. Both are Dutch versions, so I'm not able to give the exact wording. It's something like options for copying text from another program, then unticking the box for keep all formatting (default).

- How on earth did I end up with Dutch versions everywhere? Probably because I hardly ever use Word.

wim

EDIT for clarity:

Allen said:

Thanks Mark.

I'm on iMac no notepad.

Allan

--------------------------------

Thanks Mick.

Allan

Archived