illustration - vector and/or raster ?

spacecadet, on 28 Feb 2017 - 09:30 AM, said:

Alamy only accepts jpegs.

Alamy accepts vectors and illustrations as well. No reason you can't, although illustrations sell for higher than vectors, so you are competing against yourself there.

Jill

Thanks Jill,

Yes, it is very true. The current pricing is disfavoring vectors in spite of the fact that EPS files offer extra opportunities and flexibility for the user. 

I‘m trying to find out about other contributors experience. My thought was that maybe there is a different clientele for vectors...I’ve already uploaded a couple for testing.But I don’t want to break any rules if there is any in this respect.

Thanks Jill,

Yes, it is very true. The current pricing is disfavoring vectors in spite of the fact that EPS files offer extra opportunities and flexibility for the user. 

I‘m trying to find out about other contributors experience. My thought was that maybe there is a different clientele for vectors...I’ve already uploaded a couple for testing.But I don’t want to break any rules if there is any in this respect.

If you have the same for a vector as an illustration, then someone wanting an illustration will simply buy the vector and save as jpg on their own.  I think you would have to decide which your image better suits.  I don't think there are any rules, but if you are worried, email CS and ask.  It's the best way to know.

Jill

I would think if the vector is of a popular subject, one might make more sales of it than a corresponding illustration. Since the buyer can enlarge the image to billboard size with no pixilation. Use some of the components but not all, etc.

So the low initial price of a vector "might" equal out or top an illustration eventually through more sales.

But then, I'm new at it and really don't have a clue! :D just thinking out loud. There has to be some reason creators are doing vectors...:) wish I understood it.

Betty

Archived