Bulk upload question

Hi guys

I've been a casual contributor on here for a few while, but have slowed down my submissions recently because the process of adding keywords after approval seems a bit of a process!

With other sites, as I'm sure you know, I can submit straight from Lightroom and include the keyword and captions then just need to choose the catagories. It seems that with Alamy, the keywords all end up in the bottom field, and without commas. So then I need to cut and paste etc. It's a bit long winded.

I have about 400 images to put on, but just can't face it. But seeing as I made my first sale on Alamy today, I think I need to sort it out.

How does everybody else upload in bulk?

Thanks for you time.

Dave D

I have only uploaded 200 at one time, but usually 10-25. I never could get FTP to work for me, so I upload the regular way.

If I were you, I'd upload your lot in groups of 30, making sure you have all similars in that upload. That way, you can keyword the first similar, then copy/paste into the others, removing or adding the odd keyword that fits or doesn't. Once the first lot is approved, upload the next, and while you are waiting for the 2nd lot to go through QC, , keyword all 30 in the first lot.

Yes, it is tedious. I don't enjoy it. I usually can't sit and keyword more than 15 a day. But at that rate, it'll take two days, and if the next batch has passed QC, start the process again.

You can always do the 400 at once and just chip away at the keywording until you feel like slitting your throat, then quit for the day.

Keywording, to be called tagging when the new Manage Images is rolled out to all of us, will be much easier. You could always just upload and keyword 5 at a time, hoping you get the new tools for the bulk of them.

Thanks for the replies.

I've uploaded the final 250 images using Firezilla, which i already use for another site. Its simple enough to use. I'm expecting that once they pass QC (or not) i'll still need to edit the keywords though. But i tried a few last night from an older submission and just cut and paste the entire keyword set from the original image in Lightroom and then choose some of the more relevant ones for the 'essential keywords'. It wasn't that bad and i didn't feel any suicidal tendencies for the whole evening!

Now that i've read a little about the new Image Manager, i'm it'll be much easier and user friendly. 

PS, sold my second image on Alamy last night!! :) I'm a convert now!!

DD

I have only uploaded 200 at one time, but usually 10-25. I never could get FTP to work for me, so I upload the regular way.

Assume you mean web upload Betty which is what I do too.

Have you noticed it seems to be a lot faster these days?

I have uploaded some batches at different times of the day and each time the green bar scoots along the bottom track like something demented.

Don't know if it is because Alamy have upped their web software or because more people are using FTP leaving the web upload for us lesser mortals. :)

Allan

I had a problem with the FTP upload too.

I mentioned this in a conversation with someone at Alamy and was told that I had to click on "Archival Images" or "Live News" (plus the choices entertainment etc.) on the right hand side first before the system let me upload. It works a treat now. 

I use the free FTP programme FileZilla. 

Archived