Lightroom 5.7 Catalogue - Help Please

My image collection is on a separate HDD, and I have my LR Catalog reading it.

My collection is now very near to filling the 1TB HDD, and I have a new 2TB HDD, on to which I have copied the collection.

My LR Catalog, works on Drive (G) with the name of the drive HITACHI.

The new Drive is (E) and is named COLLECTION.

Can someone please tell how to edit the LR Catalog so that it will read the new drive?

Peter, it may be easier to disconnect the old drive, then re-assign the new drive number as "G".

This should help...  http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-change-the-drive-letter-in-windows-xp-for-an-external-usb-stick-or-hard-drive/

After this, just right click, and rename the new drive HITACHI.

Lightroom should then pick up the catalogue straight away. :)

Thanks TeeCee, that was helpful, but not yet the full solution.

I have done something in LR such that it does not recognise anything except the © drive.

My present catalog has over 70,000 images in it and is over 600MB in size..

I will keep that Catalog in place and use it with the "old" Drive, and make new Catalogs subdividing the collection on the new drive.

Thanks for the help, I will get on with making a more rational catalog

Maybe this is the hard way but I copy the old drive to a new and bigger one so I can go on with all of my images on one drive (with a backup copy). I have a Mac and use Superduper. I give the new drive a different name.

Paulette

I'm not sure if I have understood the problem correctly, but I would connect both drive to the computer, and in the folder panel in LR, move the contents of the old drive to the new drive.

The catalogue should keep track of where all the images are.

Ian's solution should certainly work but, if you have already copied the files to the new drive, then you could first, before starting LR, rename the top level folder containing your images on your 1Tb drive so that LR can no longer find them. You are not deleting the images, just hiding them from LR. Then, in the folders panel on the left side of LR, you should get a question mark over the missing folders. If you right click the question mark, you will be offered the chance to locate the missing folders. This should allow you to locate the new drive with the copied folders instead of the originals and you will not have to reimport or lose your previews.

PS: If you still can't find the new drive, then put any image on your E drive and import it using the import button in the Library module. That should definitely work.

I used to have 2 x 1TB drives, one being the working files in the LR Catalog and the other an Identical Backup.

The new situation is that all the working files from the 1TB have been copied to the 2TB drive.

The old 1TB working drive has the old catalog which is still working properly, it still has about 150GB of space, so I have some time to work this out, especially in the non-shooting weather we have right now.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will follow them to see if I can use the existing catalog on the new drive.  

I have the catalog I need working on Drive (G), named "HITACHI"  I need to get it reading Drive (E) named "COLLECTION"

Thanks Ian and MDM I will try your suggestions. . .

Archived