I see that a caption can be seen in its entirety when hovered over as a preview but when clicked for the new full size pop-up, the caption at the top stops at about 73 characters while Description is there from top to bottom.

I can't recall if this is a new feature or whether it's a continuation from days of old. But does the buyer see the whole caption - apart from the preview - only when they've downloaded? Much of my current uploads have been as Reportage and I try to take advantage of the 600 characters meaning the first 73 invariably don't give much information - unless I now start ensuring the first sentence is a precis.

There was an item somewhere recently that explained viewable captions .. 

Rgds,

Richard.

The caption was for 'Who, Where, Why, What and When' - the description was for you to flesh-out with additional information. When a picture editor sees an image on his browser there is a brief caption viewable  - he has to do a certain amount of scrolling to bring up the IPTC description field if the caption and image have grabbed him - I suspect you already knew that - Alamy are the only ones who can tell how they've arranged things for their buyers.....

Richard Baker, thanks for asking that. I noticed that much info in my Live News captions is cut off in Zoom window, and was wondering what the easiest way was to see the rest of caption.

Guest geogphotos

If this isn't going to change it makes sense to change the way we write captions. 

I hope that it will change. Alamy have certainly been made aware of the issue.

It would be nice to know if this is a glitch or intentional - and how would it be intentional to cut off the caption?

It would be nice to know if this is a glitch or intentional - and how would it be intentional to cut off the caption?

Which is my point, because as we know, a sale can be made or lost on a lack of, or poor caption. But if the information is there but can't be read - well ..

Richard.

Which is my point, because as we know, a sale can be made or lost on a lack of, or poor caption. But if the information is there but can't be read - well ..

Richard.

I had noticed it too. Would be good to hear from Alamy.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not seeing any Descriptions either. Or am I missing something?

You can see the description at the bottom of the window IF a description has been entered during keywording. On my new submissions I am putting the caption in the description field in addition to the caption field. I'm hoping I won't have to go back and do it for older submissions. Waiting to see if Alamy fixes this. Maybe they could tell us their plans?

Paulette

Archived