Rejection due to File Size

Hey Y'all.

My first 4 photos should be on Alamy within 24 hours.  My 5th one was rejected though because Compressed File size should be over 17MB.  I can't understand why the file sizes are different.  I can't think where to find out...   haven't got any extra lenses.  All photos taken on similar settings...

And, if I'm not happy with my accepted admissions, or Really happy, can i re-submit the same photos if they are extremely edited, or will that count as 'repetition'?

Thanks in advance.

Vickie.

Did you crop the failed photo before submitting?

Alamy does not check for similars between different submissions, but it will do you no good to upload lots of similars. If you rework an image and resubmit you can ask to have the original photo removed and that will happen within days. Alternatively you can delete it yourself, but there is a long delay, months, before it will be removed (In case a customer has stored the shot in a light box for possible future purchase).

Alamy does not check for similars between different submissions, but it will do you no good to upload lots of similars. If you rework an image and resubmit you can ask to have the original photo removed and that will happen within days. Alternatively you can delete it yourself, but there is a long delay, months, before it will be removed (In case a customer has stored the shot in a light box for possible future purchase).

Hi again,

Thanks for that info.

I did not crop the photo.

Vickie.

Geoff's absolutely right, however, I think Alamy also reject files that are excessively compressed. Did you perhaps change a camera setting to get more photos onto your memory card?

You need to shoot at the best quality you possibly can (ideally RAW files which you later convert to JPEG). If you do that, the pictures are flaw free, and you camera produces uncompressed files of greater than 24 mb, you should have few problems.

Geoff's absolutely right, however, I think Alamy also reject files that are excessively compressed. Did you perhaps change a camera setting to get more photos onto your memory card?

You need to shoot at the best quality you possibly can (ideally RAW files which you later convert to JPEG). If you do that, the pictures are flaw free, and you camera produces uncompressed files of greater than 24 mb, you should have few problems.

Would that not give a different failure reason if it was a compression issue?

Absolutely right of course about shooting RAW, and processing yourself.

I hate to nit-pick but wanted to point out that the lower limit is now 17MB uncompressed as opposed to 24MB.   :)

Geoff.

Blimey, hadn't spotted the 17mb lower limit - thanks for that Geoff. And, yup, I'm sure you're right about the different failure reason too.

Somehow, somewhere along the line, this image has ended up smaller than it's siblings...

Vickie, look forward to seeing your first four photos when they go online.

:)

It's the UNcompressed size that's important, not the compressed size (although there is an upper limit of possibly 25MB for the compressed size).

If you didn't crop the image, you may have accidentally set the camera to use a smaller crop of the sensor. I don't know much about your camera so can't help more with that,

You should try this software and check all your images using it before uploading. It checks the file sizes, both compressed and uncompressed, and the colour profile, and tells you if it'll pass or fail with Alamy.

http://www.braeside.plus.com/photography/alamy/alamy.html

Geoff.

That is super useful.  Thanks.

Would that not give a different failure reason if it was a compression issue?

Absolutely right of course about shooting RAW, and processing yourself.

I hate to nit-pick but wanted to point out that the lower limit is now 17MB uncompressed as opposed to 24MB.   :)

Geoff.

Blimey, hadn't spotted the 17mb lower limit - thanks for that Geoff. And, yup, I'm sure you're right about the different failure reason too.

Somehow, somewhere along the line, this image has ended up smaller than it's siblings...

Vickie, look forward to seeing your first four photos when they go online.

:)

Thank you.

Vickie.

You mean loads of Similars won't sell?  But I was thinking of abstract photos in 5 really different colours, for example....

Actually, the file that got rejected was shot in jpg and the accepted ones in Raw and jpg.  Does that make the file size different?  I asked the forum because I thought there might be an obvious camera related answer.  I've since remembered that I might have taken the rejected file before I used Sony Play Memories software to upload photos from camera.  I will go investigate....

Alamy only accepts jpeg. RAW and jpeg file sizes of the same image will be very different. Perhaps the Sony software has done something to your files- professionals don't usually use that sort of thing, just transfer direct.

May I suggest you do a little homework.

Alamy only accepts jpeg. RAW and jpeg file sizes of the same image will be very different. Perhaps the Sony software has done something to your files- professionals don't usually use that sort of thing, just transfer direct.

May I suggest you do a little homework.

I am putting myself in detention tomorrow!

Actually, the file that got rejected was shot in jpg and the accepted ones in Raw and jpg.  Does that make the file size different?  I asked the forum because I thought there might be an obvious camera related answer.  I've since remembered that I might have taken the rejected file before I used Sony Play Memories software to upload photos from camera.  I will go investigate....

Read your manual. Run a few tests. Chalk it up to a learning experience. You should also consider investing in professional software.

Read your manual. Run a few tests. Chalk it up to a learning experience. You should also consider investing in professional software.

Yes, I am using free software at the moment.  Will get Lightroom later.  Still got a lot of practicing to do  :)

Yes, I am using free software at the moment.  Will get Lightroom later.  Still got a lot of practicing to do  :)

I have a lot of images on Alamy that were processed using Sony's free Image Data Converter (IDC) software. It's basic, but it can do a decent job. After processing my RAW files with IDC, I used to output them as 16 bit TIFs so that I could tweak them in PhotoShop Elements. I then saved them as JPEGs for Alamy. You can also output converted images as JPEGs directly from IDC.

If you surf around, you can probably find a free version of DxO OpticPro 8. The "gift" download codes supplied on some websites supposedly still work. OpticsPro 8 is far better than IDC for processing RAW files.

I have a lot of images on Alamy that were processed using Sony's free Image Data Converter (IDC) software. It's basic, but it can do a decent job. After processing my RAW files with IDC, I used to output them as 16 bit TIFs so that I could tweak them in PhotoShop Elements. I then saved them as JPEGs for Alamy. You can also output converted images as JPEGs directly from IDC.

If you surf around, you can probably find a free version of DxO OpticPro 8. The "gift" download codes supplied on some websites supposedly still work. OpticsPro 8 is far better than IDC for processing RAW files.

O.K.  Thank You.

Archived