In a word yes. If you don't have model release then you oughtn't sell them as RF. If you are taking pics at a concert then there may well be restrictions imposed by the venue and the concert organisers too. IMO you need to do some specific research for each of these concerts as the rules vary from country to country and venue to venue and performers.

Good luck anyway, sounds like much more fun than flowers!!

dov

Yes, it is illegal to sell photos of people under ROYALTY FREE licence. However, in a few public concerts (free or ticketed) it may well be legal to sell photos as RIGHTS MANAGED (editorial only). One has to get in touch with the concert organizers to get to know these details. As Dov pointed out above, there may be restrictions on either the venue (property) or the the performing artists themselves and their branded instruments (if any) or their attires.

Yes, it is illegal to sell photos of people under ROYALTY FREE licence. However, in a few public concerts (free or ticketed) it may well be legal to sell photos as RIGHTS MANAGED (editorial only). One has to get in touch with the concert organizers to get to know these details. As Dov pointed out above, there may be restrictions on either the venue (property) or the the performing artists themselves and their branded instruments (if any) or their attires.

I think you are incorrect to say that it is illegal to sell photos of people under a Royalty Free Licence. This gives some useful info and pointers, but remember that there are no easy/simple answers in this area - it will depend on the situation and who is involved.  http://www.danheller.com/model-release-primer.html 

from the guidelines

"Don’t worry, if you don’t have a release, we can still sell your images as Rights Managed (RM).

We sell lots of unreleased RM images to our editorial customers like newspapers, magazines and book publishers because they don’t need a release."

Now I want to clarify something since some people don't seem to get it. It is not illegal to sell a photograph of a person if you do not have a release, at least in the US and Brazil. What is illegal is to USE the photo of a person to advertise a product, a place or an idea, without that release.

What is illegal is to USE the photo of a person to advertise a product, a place or an idea, without that release.

As Keith says, it's not actually illegal in most countries. It may expose you to a civil lawsuit, but that's not the same thing as its being a criminal offence which is what "illegal" means to me.

Of course the OP may be using the term loosely but I would take it to mean are the police going to come knocking on my door. In the UK the answer is no.

I don't know about Indonesia but the OP can check that for himself. I believe some US states do have personality rights laws and I know that Germany has.

Archived