NEX System Update

I have/had a very popular post on our old forum for people who use or are interested in buying one of the smaller NEX system cameras. 

In recent months I've been using the NEX-6 more than my NEX-7, but I use both. I've skipped buying both questionable zooms that Sony offers and find myself using the Sony Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 75% or more of the time. I bought both the Sony 30mm f/3.5 macro and then the Sigma 30mm f/2.8, but  I've stopped using both of these 30's and plan to sell them; there's not enough difference in the X1.5 view between 36mm and 45mm to need both primes. And the 24 focuses to 6.5", which means it's a closeup lens if not a true macro.

The Sony 50mm f/1.8 is a very sharp and useful short tele. My Sony 16mm is not flexible, not great, so I'm in the market for a better wide angle. Oh, and I bought the NEX-6 because it has much better noise control at ISO 800 and ISO 1,600. 

Welcome to an old subject on the new forum.  :)

I am told a new NEX may have been announced today, Sony had a press conference, but I was not invited, no press release has been issued and my colleague who did attend is keeping quiet...

All I can say is that if they introduce a NEX-8 with 20 megapixel sensor, improved EVF and proper volume control for audio line/mic input I'd consider terminating my DSLR use - if they added built-in GPS, I'd sell all the DSLR location kit.

David

Ah, you changed your user name, too, John.

I can't afford new equipment either, but I feel I will be able to balance my accounts by selling off a lot of equipment I have; I've been involved in pro photography since 1960, but moved to being semi-pro in the early '90s.

I am told a new NEX may have been announced today, Sony had a press conference, but I was not invited, no press release has been issued and my colleague who did attend is keeping quiet...

All I can say is that if they introduce a NEX-8 with 20 megapixel sensor, improved EVF and proper volume control for audio line/mic input I'd consider terminating my DSLR use - if they added built-in GPS, I'd sell all the DSLR location kit.

David

Oh I so hope you are right. I have the Nex 7 and I know they are due a replacement very soon.... I am hoping that it will be available before I head over to the Peruvian Andes for a 3 week climbing holiday... with plenty of photography. If it does, I'll be getting one along with the 50mm 1.8 I think!

Edit... just took a look at Sony Alpha Rumours and nothing there either.... :-(

Ah, you changed your user name, too, John.

I can't afford new equipment either, but I feel I will be able to balance my accounts by selling off a lot of equipment I have; I've been involved in pro photography since 1960, but moved to being semi-pro in the early '90s.

Yes, name changed to protect the innocent. Unfortunately I've run out of old stuff to sell. But there must still be something lying around here that I can put on craigslist...

Below is the most important tip David Kilpatrick offered me on the older NEX thread. Yes, there were other useful tips, but I'm not sure I would figured out this exposure problem on my own. 

"Tip with the NEX-7 in contrasty light - do not use a single focus point, do not use spot metering, do not use centre weight. Switch to wide area focus (multiple points may be selected) and matrix type metering. Then, it won't overexpose by accidentally hitting a shadow area with its very accurate off-sensor metering. The NEX models never overexpose if use this way, because the sensor detects the brightest areas.

As for slow speed action track, or even panning with movement, no EVF camera is much good. I keep my OVF cameras for exactly that reason. I tried doing dodgem cars at Knotts Berry Farm using the NEX-7 and I was quite unable to get my usual result from this type of subject, where I track a face precisely holding it on the focusing screen centre. You can't see the subject during your pan. I got one usable image out of a dozen passes, and in the end had to blend two shots to make something which worked. So you are right Ed, for this exact use the NEX is NEX to useless and the same goes for all micro43 or other EVF systems."

David

Yes, good to see the topic reinvigorated.

I believe that my copy of the 55-210 Sony zoom has a de-centred element, as I am finding it impossible to get uniform sharpness across the field of view at longer focal lengths. Currently using an old Pentax 75-150mm f4 manual focus zoom, which, in addition to providing better corner to corner sharpness, is producing higher pixel count JPGs than the Sony, Sending Sony zoom to have it looked at by official repairer - interested to know what they have to say. At the shorter focal lengths it is better than the kit zoom, maybe I expect too much of this relatively inexpensive lens!

The Sigma 19mm is the only auto focus lens in my possession that I can trust to produce really sharp and contrasty images,  old manual focus primes out perform the kit 16-50 with ease.

An additional drawback to using this non autofocus old glass is that they all suffer, to a greater or lesser extent, from CA with the digital sensor, but that's easily removed in LR.

I look forward to the day when Sigma or a.n.other bring out a pair of decent E fit auto focus zooms to match the quality and range of the 24-105 f4 and 70-200 f4 that I use with my Canon.

Despite these issues, I am still preferring the NEX 6 to 5DII for most of my photography, It's just so easy to carry around.

Just noticed, the images linked to my portfolio here are not mine! - Now fixed!

I believe that my copy of the 55-210 Sony zoom has a de-centred element, as I am finding it impossible to get uniform sharpness across the field of view at longer focal lengths. Currently using an old Pentax 75-150mm f4 manual focus zoom, which, in addition to providing better corner to corner sharpness, is producing higher pixel count JPGs than the Sony, Sending Sony zoom to have it looked at by official repairer - interested to know what they have to say. At the shorter focal lengths it is better than the kit zoom, maybe I expect too much of this relatively inexpensive lens!

The Sigma 19mm is the only auto focus lens in my possession that I can trust to produce really sharp and contrasty images,  old manual focus primes out perform the kit 16-50 with ease.

An additional drawback to using this non autofocus old glass is that they all suffer, to a greater or lesser extent, from CA with the digital sensor, but that's easily removed in LR.

I look forward to the day when Sigma or a.n.other bring out a pair of decent E fit auto focus zooms to match the quality and range of the 24-105 f4 and 70-200 f4 that I use with my Canon.

Despite these issues, I am still preferring the NEX 6 to 5DII for most of my photography, It's just so easy to carry around.

I have the same dilema with the 55-210mm I know it can produce good shots but the autofocus on it seems  below par.

I am currently looking at alternatives before heading off to Peru in July so if anyone can put forward some recommendations I would really appreciate it.

For instance,

1. legacy zoom and adapter

2. New Alpha zoom with either the LA-EA2 oe EA1 adapter.

3. Or emount 18-200 from Sony or Tamron

Cheers

When testing the 55-210mm, I also found that on the sample I tried, the right hand side was blurred at 150-210mm even at apertures like f/8 of f/11. I ended up with a Tamron 18-200mm LE and that is not as good at 55-100mm, or as fast at longer focal lengths, but it's generally even in its type of sharpness loss at wider apertures.

If you want a really good lens there is one (OLD) choice and that is the original, 67mm filter thread, heavy 18-200mm with a far better OSS stabilisation system. This lens is still the sharpest and best wide to long tele zoom made for NEX (and better than most made for DSLRs too).

David

When testing the 55-210mm, I also found that on the sample I tried, the right hand side was blurred at 150-210mm even at apertures like f/8 of f/11. I ended up with a Tamron 18-200mm LE and that is not as good at 55-100mm, or as fast at longer focal lengths, but it's generally even in its type of sharpness loss at wider apertures.

If you want a really good lens there is one (OLD) choice and that is the original, 67mm filter thread, heavy 18-200mm with a far better OSS stabilisation system. This lens is still the sharpest and best wide to long tele zoom made for NEX (and better than most made for DSLRs too).

David

Cheers... would that be Sony's 18-200? Did you try it before taking up the Tamron version? Thanks

Just noticed, the images linked to my portfolio here are not mine!

If you log out and then log back in, it might fix the wrong link to images problem. That worked for me.

I too find the 55-210 unpredictable at the longest  focal lengths: sometimes the results are sharp and other times not. I'm not sure that the OSS is working properly at full extension on my lens, so I now take a series of shots at long focal lengths and choose the sharpest one. At shorter focal lengths, my 55-210 is dependably sharp, however.

Just noticed, the images linked to my portfolio here are not mine!

Bryan, which Sigma 19mm f/2.8 do you have, the first one or the newest, space-age looking edition? 

Bryan, which Sigma 19mm f/2.8 do you have, the first one or the newest, space-age looking edition? 

It's the original Ed. I don't want to sing its praises too loudly, but for the £100 that I paid, it's good value. I published a rather limited comparison with the kit lens here

David

Cheers... would that be Sony's 18-200? Did you try it before taking up the Tamron version? Thanks

The original OSS 18-200mm was launched with the first NEX-5. It costs abour £700 but used examples can be found for around £300-400. It is a much bigger lens, but in a completely different optical class. The new 62mm thread lightweight Sony model is actually just the Tamron (they even have the same firmware identity on the camera and use the same corrections in-camera), so I naturally have the cheaper alternative - the Tamron! But if you want a lens which exceeds the quality of either of these, the 'old' big lens is the only choice. It's the one they use on their much more expensive video rigs.

David

David

The original OSS 18-200mm was launched with the first NEX-5. It costs abour £700 but used examples can be found for around £300-400. It is a much bigger lens, but in a completely different optical class. The new 62mm thread lightweight Sony model is actually just the Tamron (they even have the same firmware identity on the camera and use the same corrections in-camera), so I naturally have the cheaper alternative - the Tamron! But if you want a lens which exceeds the quality of either of these, the 'old' big lens is the only choice. It's the one they use on their much more expensive video rigs.

David

Thanks David.... The two 18-200's that I have found for sale are

The original silver one that was designed for video (i believe) - Here

And this newer version for stills and is black - Here

I'm hoping it is the former..... as I have ordered one at Jessops at that price (£547). Not paid for yet so I can try it out in the store first!

They heard rumours that the 7n maybe announced in May but may cost up to £2k..... seems a little high.... unless they have opted for a Foveon Sensor that has also been rumoured! Now that would be interesting.

I've seen some Raw files for the Sigma DP2M and they were stunning, very sharp and almost 3d like..... but, I was put off by the battery life (20-40 shots when in good conditions)..... problematic up a mountain in cold conditions  :D

David

David

Interesting. I ran across a used one of these in a local camera store recently, and it is a monster, especially on the NEX bodies. It was going for about $680 Canadian or, as you said, roughly £400.

You get several things with the bigger older lens - much better 200mm performance with less softness and vignetting, and much better OSS. This is what makes it better for video of course, but it also means the OSS is more effective for stills. The image is not deformed as much during OSS shifts. It's designed to keep everything looking perfect during videos. Lower distortion too. I could never afford the big one.

David

Often use Actual Pixels that's 100% and vital. I never judge a picture using Fit On Screen, 33% or 66% views (or any random odd percentage). It can be misleading. I tend to use 100%, 200%, 50%, 25% most of all. But of course I do USE Fit on Screen and it's my default view - I just never do any work on an image at this size except things like grads and dodge/burn which need the whole view. I zoom in to 100% for nearly all retouching work and also of course to check sharpness for Alamy.

However, I do a lot of this work in Bridge using these commands: Space Bar = full screen view. Click Mouse on any point on this view = zoom to100% at that point still in full screen mode. Right or left arrow keys = move to next picture AT THE MAGNIFICATION IN USE (full screen, move to full screen - 100%, move to next image at the same relative location for the 100% view). Mouse scroll = zoom to 200, 400, 800% or reduce the other way. Click mouse when zoomed = return to full screen. Press space bar when in zoomed mode or full screen = return to Bridge normal view thumbs and preview. Press Cmd+Backspace = Delete file entirely (which I hit if the 100% view falls short of required sharpness). Depending on your machine and your filetype and size, you may need to wait several seconds at 100% view to see the picture at its true sharpness.

You can also star rate your images during this process but I never bother. It's a very fast way of using Bridge/ACR which is slicker than Lightroom and 'intelligent' in the way it responds. So most of my pre-edit and pre-raw conversion selection/rejection is handled without going into PS.

(I have just realised this is probably not known to everyone so I'll copy and paste the above as a new topic).

David

Archived