Start/end dates vs. duration

Can someone explain to me the difference between start/end dates and duration?

I just got a sale with these details: 

Usage: Editorial
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Print run: up to 10,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1/8 page
Start: 01 February 2016
End: 01 February 2021

Contents page usage. Quantity discount. Duration: 1 month

Or is this simply an indication of a discount rate?  As if they licensed for a month?

"It's complicated," as they say on Facebook, but my guess is that Mark is correct. The photo will run for a month in print, but it can stay on the publication's website for five years.

Interesting to see "Quantity discount" in the usage. I have a $15 presentation sale this month with that phrase in the terms. First time I've seen it. 

Could it also have something to do with back issues? People can request back issues for copies they have missed?!?

I think that back issues would come from -- i.e. be left over from -- the original print run. Not sure, though.

I suppose it might mean that the photo could be used for a one-month period at any point during the five-year "duration."

Where are Mr. Holmes and Dr. Watson when we need them? B)

The print/web idea makes sense, but when I saw similar terms in my report I had the impression that it meant they could use it for one monthly issue at any point during a five year period.

What if here comes the client who wants to buy exclusive license in 2017 for (lets say) one month, but you already have sold it in 5 yrs period withouth exact date info? I always thought that RM is about very detailed info, not around...

Archived