OK so I think I need some help.

I shoot a lot of events, protests and I'm about to start shooting motorsports.

I've had a gutfull of carrying my camera backpack around so the other day whilst merrily shooting the World Naked Bike Ride, which was.. revealing to say the least! :) I decided not to take my bag, but to strap my camera lens case for my 70-200 2.8 on my belt.. well, that wasn't such a good idea either, my belt snapped under it's weight!  :wacko: Plus it was uncomfortable. And most disturbingly, without a bag, there was no where to put my cigarettes and what to do with the flash?  I'd rather not leave it on camera if possible - unless of course i need it. 

The thing is I hate harnesses and camera vests - I think they look ridiculous - they're almost as bad as fishing vests! (without the smell) And I'd rather be more conspicuous but the time has come that I have to put all that aside and take the leap into harness land.

There's so many choices out there.. vest? Harness? Belt and Harness? Grrrrr non of which I like because i don't like any of them..

I've been looking at the Lowpro S&F belt along with the Harness OR vest from the same company.. they seem pretty good.

So I'm looking for advice please.. which is more practical, the vest? or the harness?  And can anyone recommend a brand they've had experience with please?

Cheers!!  :D

OK so I think I need some help.

I shoot a lot of events, protests and I'm about to start shooting motorsports.

I've had a gutfull of carrying my camera backpack around so the other day whilst merrily shooting the World Naked Bike Ride, which was.. revealing to say the least! :) I decided not to take my bag, but to strap my camera lens case for my 70-200 2.8 on my belt.. well, that wasn't such a good idea either, my belt snapped under it's weight!  :wacko: Plus it was uncomfortable. And most disturbingly, without a bag, there was no where to put my cigarettes and what to do with the flash?  I'd rather not leave it on camera if possible - unless of course i need it. 

The thing is I hate harnesses and camera vests - I think they look ridiculous - they're almost as bad as fishing vests! (without the smell) And I'd rather be more conspicuous but the time has come that I have to put all that aside and take the leap into harness land.

There's so many choices out there.. vest? Harness? Belt and Harness? Grrrrr non of which I like because i don't like any of them..

I've been looking at the Lowpro S&F belt along with the Harness OR vest from the same company.. they seem pretty good.

So I'm looking for advice please.. which is more practical, the vest? or the harness?  And can anyone recommend a brand they've had experience with please?

Cheers!!  :D

I know what you mean about vests and harnesses. Also I am very uncomfortable with the idea of relying on harnesses etc using the tripod point. It just does not feel secure and reliable for such purposes with a lot of movement, fine for its intended static use. I would worry that a heavy camera and lens could come unattached unless I was constantly checking it, and it would still find a period of inattention to let go!

I just accepted that it would have to be a back pack with just what I need for the session, I leave the rest in my car or the media room. Mind you the pack sits on the ground for much of the time when I am actually shooting. When I was at Brands Hatch shooting British Superbike motorcycle racing I noticed most of the experienced professional shooters took surpringly little kit with them trackside; even though they had a pile of kit in the media room! I found I did not need a lot either.

Fair point...  At this stage im only interested in taking my camera (5D3), 24-105 and the 70-200 2.8.. So rather than take a bag, I'd rather carry the lens and flash on my belt.. camera on the harness. I currently use a sling which is fantastic... no problems securing the camera on that, even with the big lens and a battery grip. 

I spose for motorsports I'd only need the camera and a big lens so you have a good point about that.. Then really I'm looking for a solution for long duration events etc. 

I like your idea about leaving kit int he media room, but how secure is that? 

Have used Think Tank Pro Speed Belt system for years, love it. Hands free, weight on your hips (not your lower back), everything easily accessible . . . only use bag when in transit.

dd

Fair point...  At this stage im only interested in taking my camera (5D3), 24-105 and the 70-200 2.8.. So rather than take a bag, I'd rather carry the lens and flash on my belt.. camera on the harness. I currently use a sling which is fantastic... no problems securing the camera on that, even with the big lens and a battery grip. 

I spose for motorsports I'd only need the camera and a big lens so you have a good point about that.. Then really I'm looking for a solution for long duration events etc. 

I like your idea about leaving kit int he media room, but how secure is that? 

I guess the security of the media room depends on the event/location. At Brands Hatch there was £100ks of kit lying around so I assume it was pretty secure! But there were also people there all the time, and most of them knew each other, a lot were writers who did not spend a lot of time trackside (especially as it was a seriously wet weekend!). At other events (exhibitions, car shows) media room staff put spare kit in a separate room and my kit is usually a lot smaller and lighter (no very long lenses for example)

Yes, Think Tank has replaced my Lowepro bag.     

A Think Tank belt with pouches,  Black Rapid Strap and Peak Design capture clip, which means you can remove the strap from the camera in one click.   The Think Tank belt won't snap.  You can also use the Peak Design clips to attach to the belt if you want.  

Thinktank all the way because they are well designed and very durable.

Here is my standard walk around, and travel, bag. It fits UNDER most airline seats. I wear it bandolier style with the strap against the left side of my neck, across my chest, and the bag discretely under my right armpit. When working I leave the top unzipped. The camera strap goes around my neck with the lens/camera combination holstered in the middle slot of the bag, ready for a quick draw. My smaller Canon 70-200 F4 with the hood reversed fits completely into the bag even when attached to the body.

I prefer this to the belt system, which I have.

Edit: You can see it in action in my forum photo

Had a play with the Think tank belt today, the slim one.. I must say I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable it was.. It feels like there's no need for a harness to support over the shoulders but I didn't load it up...

I'll check out the lowpro shortly...

Thinktank all the way because they are well designed and very durable.

Here is my standard walk around, and travel, bag. It fits UNDER most airline seats. I wear it bandolier style with the strap against the left side of my neck, across my chest, and the bag discretely under my right armpit. When working I leave the top unzipped. The camera strap goes around my neck with the lens/camera combination holstered in the middle slot of the bag, ready for a quick draw. My smaller Canon 70-200 F4 with the hood reversed fits completely into the bag even when attached to the body.

I prefer this to the belt system, which I have.

Edit: You can see it in action in my forum photo

I like the bag idea for it simplicity, but I run around  a lot to catch as much of the action as I can.. so I'm looking for the least 'jiggly' answer. I think a simple belt is the the way to go. 

Had a play with the Think tank belt today, the slim one.. I must say I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable it was.. It feels like there's no need for a harness to support over the shoulders but I didn't load it up...

I'll check out the lowpro shortly...

I see the harness as unnecessary--the weight is on the hips and doesn't need redistributing back onto the shoulders perched atop the spine . . . and I find the Pro belt (thickest) much more comfortable as it spreads the load over a wider area. The "jiggling" can still occur with long lenses hanging in their bags while running, but I've found hanging them more toward the front of the body than the side helps enormously.

And as Bill says above, TT gear is very durable.

dd

Archived