Model Release Form - details and advice

I'm sure this was covered on the old forum (remember that? :) )

I do not shoot images of pro models but do have useable photos of family and friends.

[1] Where it says 'For good and valuable consideration of', Can I enter NIL if no fees are being paid?

[2] Shoot date.  Can I enter a period rather than a set date?

[3] Can I use a digital image for the models photo and is there a form (non PDF?) that allows me to do this?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Regards

John

I'm sure this was covered on the old forum (remember that? :) )

I do not shoot images of pro models but do have useable photos of family and friends.

[1] Where it says 'For good and valuable consideration of', Can I enter NIL if no fees are being paid?

[2] Shoot date. Can I enter a period rather than a set date?

[3] Can I use a digital image for the models photo and is there a form (non PDF?) that allows me to do this?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Regards

John

1) I don't state anything - and, in fact, there is no space for that on my model release form - just: "For good and valuable consideration herein acknowledged as received, and by signing this release I hereby"

2) If it is a matter of a few days in a row I sometimes do this, yes.

3) Actually, you do not need the photo. My form hasn't the space for this. But a digital photo would be fine.

PS You can easily download the Alamy PDF release form - copy it to clipboard in Adobe Reader and paste it in a Word document for editing. You may need to refurnish the layout. However, this may infringe Alamy's copyright stated at the bottom of the form. You can also download one of the generic release forms accepted by most agencies.

Many thanks for your advice Niels Quist.

I will search for a straightforward generic form as you suggest.  As it's mainly just for family and friends I don't want it to be to elaborate/official.

If anyone can point me to a suitable link it would appreciated too.

Regards

John

I use whichever is at hand - Alamy or Getty.

Was not too sure about the Getty one, ie copyright, but they have opened it up to all photographers (in my opinion).

"At Getty Images we have developed a range of model and property releases for our photographers and filmmakers to use when supplying their images to us. These are now available for all photographers and filmmakers to download and use."

Which can be found here,

http://contributors.gettyimages.com/article_public.aspx?article_id=1834

The Alamy one is more straight forward as it does not need a witness, but this could possibly limit your market now or in the future.  So I prefer the Getty one.  At least its more generic and you have options of many more languages too.

Simon

1 - Unless there is a set fee, people usually put in 1 GBP.

2 - Yes, you can set a date range.

3 - You can scan (or photograph) the form as a JPEG and then add a digital image in Photoshop.

From my old days of shooting annual reports I fill out the release and pay each person $1.00 USD,

as stated on the release. All you need to make a release binding is the exchange of Money or as

stated in the release "'For valuable consideration” I always just enter the shoot date or dates.

For releases on location I just have a print out of the release, which I fill out and

have the model sign, then I snap a photo of the model holding the signed release and

their ID. That image as well as a digital copy of the release stays in the image

folder for the shoot.

Archived