Property release for pictures of boats?

I spend much of my time on the water and end up with many pictures of boats. Some of the pictures show the boat name, others do not. However, there are some pictures where one boat is the main subject and could be recognized, I'm assuming that anything falling under these two categories would be editorial use only? 

Would I be right in thinking that if the design of boat is recognisable - much like the make/model of a car - then that would also count as property requiring release? I've always played safe with property releases including clothing, furniture and suchlike. Am I being overzealous?

Would I be right in thinking that if the design of boat is recognisable - much like the make/model of a car - then that would also count as property requiring release? I've always played safe with property releases including clothing, furniture and suchlike. Am I being overzealous?

That such images can be sold as RF is a traditional micro stock way of thinking. I agree with you that for the protection of the protographer the design will most often require a property release unless sold as RM and ticked accordingly. And that is what Alamy recommend(ed). I learned this lesson when came from micro in 2009.

Archived