Caribbean flowering vine ID

Not sure if this link will work, hope it does.  Anyway, this is a vine I came across in Christiansted, St. Croix.  I've gone everywhere I can think of on the Internet trying to ID these flowers.  Sorry I don't have a closeup.  I came across them after my snorkeling near drowning event and after I and my family had left the charter boat. We were walking toward the shopping district.  At this point I could barely put one foot in front of the other.  On this trip when we were doing things as a foursome, I tried hard not to let my photography interfere with our activities, so this was a couple of seconds of grab shot as we walked by.

It looks like a tubular flower, and has five petals. Two at the top, three at the bottom.  Kind of reminds me of some kind of orchid, but not sure if there are vining orchids.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p54hsz7xze3mu85/2943.tif?dl=0

Help appreciated, or a point in the right direction.  I'm about to finish the images from this trip.  It's funny how looking at this picture brings back how horrible I felt when I took it.  I did reward myself with three hand-crafted silver bracelets at the shops, though!   :)

Betty

Not really my area (tropicals) but looks quite like Clytostoma callistegioides - the flowers seem to be on longer stalks so may be another sp.

My flowers have two petals on top with a bit of separation from the three on bottom. It is a notable shape that seems different than the clock vine.
The Bengal a Clock vine's petals seem uniformly spaced. None of the pictures I've looked at match mine perfectly, because of the color, but Clytostoma callistegiodes is closest. I do wish I'd gotten a closeup.

My flowers look to be a more intense purple, but the weather was overcast and part of my image is in shadow, so in fact the flowers may have been paler than they look in the image. Plus I may have used the velvia filter in the development which would have intensified the color. I'll go back and look at the raw again and see if I made them too intense.

I'm really appreciating your help.

Edited to add:

I went back to the raw, and found what I did.  I used the DeHaze filter on the image to bring out cloud detail, and I guess I liked the intense effect on the flowers and didn't brush it off.  Shame on me. Not a true representation of what I saw.

Here is the redeveloped image, and it is the paler flower color that looks like the Lavender Trumpet Vine, Clytostoma callistegioides.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ccqfimvqbbzioh/_DSC2943-Clytostoma.tif?dl=0

Hiya Betty, I'm sorry I can't help with your ID on this one, I often have the same problems!

This may be a bit cheeky but may I ask...... Alamy seems to encourage accurate identification, preferably with Latin equivalent as well. My question is.......If I identify a flower for example, and my identity process is limited to finding a similar image on Google!!, and use that identification in title or keywords and then I'm wrong.....would that then be my responsibility or should I include a disclaimer in the title??? Thanks, Davey

You are liable according to the contract, but it's hard to see what liability could arise from an incorrect plant identification, because a buyer should check himself. But if you're not sure, don't include it, or just use the common names. Or check it with the forum, of course.

I only have a couple, but my sturgeon on a restaurant plate in Bordeaux is correctly (I believe) annotated as A. sturio, the European sturgeon, which was an educated guess as I was in, er, Europe and it was farmed locally, but there are 26 other Acipenseridae. Buyers regularly search on the Linnaean name of a plant of animal.

I'll add to Philippe's and Mark's extremely valid comments to suggest it's always a good idea to take extra shots of difficult or obscure species and varieties which could be used to aid in ID.  They don't have to be shots you'd ever submit for stock but, for plants, leaf shape, close up of flower parts and arrangements etc can all help with ID even if they're no use for sale.  I've got a whole gallery of plants I've yet to definitively identify but, because I've got detail shots I should be able to key them out at some stage.

If I am only 95% sure of the identification, I use the word “probably” in the caption, and then keyword my probable identification.

When shooting I take shots for the library. Then I take a few extra quick, hand held, high ISO shots that show close ups of various features to use for identification only. These after shots do not even have to be critically sharp, as they are discarded later.

The caption for this shot is: “Mushrooms, probably Russula, growing in Rouge National Urban Park an urban wilderness inside Toronto Ontario Canada.”

To 100% identify as Russula and the Russula variety I would possibly have to view spores under a microscope and pinch the mushroom skin to see how it bleeds. Not going to happen, hence the use of the word “probably”.

mushrooms-probably-russula-growing-in-ro

Thanks a lot for the good advice.  And I agree that one should take multiple images for ID, but if you'll note my initial post you'll see why I didn't.  

Darn, I wish I'd been alone, and I wish I'd recovered the oxygen level in my blood.  When you breathe in sea water, severely choke and gasp for 20 minutes while trying to tread water and keep your head above, it takes a lot out of you. It did me. If my son-in-law hadn't been by my side so I could put my hand on his arm, I'd not be here today.  Funny what was going through my mind..."don't climb on Ray and take him under. If it is my time, it is my time." I was panicked, but not out of my mind panicked. I will say it was the most horrible thing that ever happened to me and hard to shake the memory.

I was barely able to walk when I passed these beautiful flowers. I guess my mind still was oxygen starved, or I'd have gotten a closeup!  :)  (maybe my mind is always oxygen starved, what say you?)  

I just uploaded the image in question, so I'll use the word "probably" in my caption.  That's very wise advice.

Archived