Portfolio review ?

mathieubmorin

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but I'd love to have some thoughts/critics on my personal portfolio that I'm finishing to set up. I spent the last few weeks, even months on this and I'd need some external opinions from photographers on the content/feel/layout of the whole thing.

Here it is: http://ajourney.slightlyoutoffocus.com

Hope it's fine with the forum rules, and if not you can just close down the topic (sorry!)

Thanks for any help.

Cheers!

Mathieu

Well, I just spent a truly enjoyable and engrossing half-hour tramping along the Rakiura with you . . .

I like the content very much.

The feel and layout are fine too, even if the visible right and left arrows < > both simply took me back to the very beginning :) .

And worry not, portfolio reviews, even if not actually Alamy portfolios, are fine as far as I'm aware.

dd

Very well done website (I love it!) and beautiful images!

But what I don't like is the way I open and see the images:

http://ajourney.slightlyoutoffocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/portfoliogrid-1898.jpg

It's large, in left up corner on the white background like something didn't work with displaying (at least on Chrome). And from the professional perspective you should think about protecting your work somehow. I mean they are ready to easy save on disc and use without any watermark. Piece of cake, encouraging to use ;) Remind some people that copyright exists :P The fact is you sell licenses to images (like here on Alamy) and not let it take for free from your website, right?

Thank you both, I'm really glad you like the site and the photos!

dd: I know what you mean with the arrows, you're the second person telling me this. I'll try and have a look how I can take them down. Cool that you liked the story as well =)

Arletta: You're saying the image loaded in a different page? like the script to show the gallery image didn't work? I just tried in Chrome and that particular image seems to load just fine... Maybe when you clicked on it, the script didn't have time to load properly? I'll see with oher people if they get that problem and thank you for spotting it. Also on the size of the images, you're probably right and I should resize them down. I just don't want to add a watermark, but who knows if I'll change my mind!

Cheers!

Mathieu

Hi Mathieu - I enjoyed your photos, and accompanying info, and agree about the arrows, and the points Arletta made.  

I strongly urge you to watermark your images, the sooner the better. Why make it it super easy for random viewers/entities to screenshot your work and appropriate it, with questionable benefit for yourself in return? At the least, you'll be giving honest people a clue/reminder about your copyright.

[As an aside, my images are watermarked, and the only person who made a negative comment about that, to my face, was a friend of a friend who wanted photos not only for free but watermark-free.]  

All the best - Ann

Thanks everyone, it's so great to see that you enjoy the images.

Ann: You halfway convinced me with the watermarking. I finally decided to watermark only the images that appear in my main portfolio, the ones in higher resolution. I don't think it's worth applying a watermark on the smaller images as they are really low in quality on the website.

Marianne: Thank you for watching!

Olivier: Thanks a lot for your comments. I didn't really know about the meta generator. I think I fixed the tags for my CMS (can you confirm this?), but I still have this slider popping up, so I'll ask around to see how I can take that out as well...

And yes, I've noticed about the bugs with the mobile version. I didn't pay much attention to it just yet, as I was focusing on the main website, but I'll have to take care of that after. I really don't know why the menu disappears on small screens too... It's good that you pointed it though! Merci! :)

Still much work to do!

Cheers everyone,

Mathieu

Mathieu,

regarding the generator tags, they are (still) in the <head> section of your pages and they indicate the CMS you have used to build the website, and the version of that CMS. And you can consider that it is absolutely fine. From a security point of view, some may consider it is not advisable. Knowing the CMS you have used, anyone (or any program) can guess the URL of your admin login page and (especially if you have not changed this URL) try to break your password. Indicating the version of the CMS you have used gives even more information for potential attacks. Imagine that a security failure is discovered in the version of the CMS you have used… 

I do not want you to become paranoid. But you should be aware that tens of thousands of websites get hacked every single day. Giving too much information about your website can be like using weak logins and passwords (or using the same passwords for different purposes), for example, it increases the risk of having your website hacked (especially when using a CMS) which can be a pain in the… 

So, I just want to encourage you to consider some of the security measures you can take to "avoid" (knowing this could always happen) this, such as using strong usernames and passwords, securing your admin URL (by limiting the number of login attempts allowed for example), verifying your files and folders permissions on the server, and so on. Setting your generator tags to something that is not related to your CMS, like your name for example, or simply deleting them, could be considered part of these security measures. Changing the default admin login URL could be part of it too. So many things in fact… When I looked at your website, I just thought that you might not have considered this.

Voilà, c'est tout.

Whaou, I definitely didn't put much time onto security before your message, probably out of laziness. So thanks for the heads up. I did a few things that were possible with my current knowledge however... Put a strong password, limited the login attempts, started making backup and put did some watermarking. I think I managed to take out the CMS details. I contacted the people that made my theme and it seems impossible for now to take out the meta generator for the plugin I'm using... which is really bad. I've seen a lot of complaints online but no solution for now...

I still need to change the admin directory though. I'll get to that soon. Anyway, thanks again!

Oh and I fixed the mobile menu as well, thank you for that too! :D

Archived