I'm currently using a glass (composite really) clip-on screen protector on one of my cameras. I prefer this type of protector because I can easily remove it in bright sunlight. The protector I have (GGS III) is supposedly one of the better ones out there, but I find that it can produce a lot of reflections in some situations. I'm wondering if adhesive screen protectors do a better job of reducing reflections. Any opinions on this?

I had a plastic clip on protector on a Nikon D2X some years ago. Screen was mint condition when I sold the camera. No protector on my current D3 bought new 6ish years ago, screen still unblemished. Reached conclusion screen protector unnecessary.

I had a plastic clip on protector on a Nikon D2X some years ago. Screen was mint condition when I sold the camera. No protector on my current D3 bought new 6ish years ago, screen still unblemished. Reached conclusion screen protector unnecessary.

I'm using the clip-on protector on a mirror-less camera (Sony NEX). The screens on these small cameras seem more susceptible to scratches, etc. than older DSLR's. I have a six-year-old Sony DSLR that I've lugged around Latin America, and there are virtually no scratches on the screen, which has no protector. I guess the older screens were made of better stuff.

If I use screen protectors now I tend to use the GGS stick on ones, purely because a few years ago I must have got a small bit of grit or similar between the screen and the clip on nikon protector (without knowing) and by the end of the day it had left a mark on the screen..mind you it makes no difference, I still use the camera and dont notice the mark anymore.  ... well I didn't untill now ;)

I use the stick-on one - less gap between protector and screen, so less double reflection stuff. They do not have any detrimental effect in bright light. GGS, JYY, Giottos and similar. Have had many different makes all seem the same.

Yes, that's what I was thinking -- i.e. the gap between the clip-on protector and the screen might be adding reflections.

Archived