Screen Protectors? How Do You Feel About Them (Sony)?

Hmmm.. thought you weren't buying any more new equipment, Edo. ^_^

I've had excellent luck with JYC optical glass protectors that I've bought on eBay (from China, of course) for my NEX cameras. The last one I ordered cost $5.

I never had to use a screen protector with my Sony DSLR, but the NEX cameras are a different story. Perhaps the RX100 has a tougher screen. I don't particularly like screen protectors, but they do the job

Hope you enjoy the camera. I'm envious.

With a steady hand and a scalpel I finally managed to remove the degraded screen protector from my Nex 3 and replace it with an optical glass one from EBay. Looks so much better. Due to the branding though my Nex 3 has now become a Fotga Nex 5, at least from the back. Hey ho.

I don't feel any great urge to try to do that myself, David -- haven't got the mental focus or steady hands for the job now. Anyway, I have enough NEX backup bodies plus the RX10 and RX100 iii. I tried to sell the NEX-7 body to Adorama a few months ago. They offered me $50 for it, a camera I paid $900 for four years ago. I kept it, even started using it again in place of the NEX-6, going back and forth between the two. $50? Hell, I'd have paid $50 for one! 

I don't feel any great urge to try to do that myself, David -- haven't got the mental focus or steady hands for the job now. Anyway, I have enough NEX backup bodies plus the RX10 and RX100 iii. I tried to sell the NEX-7 body to Adorama a few months ago. They offered me $50 for it, a camera I paid $900 for four years ago. I kept it, even started using it again in place of the NEX-6, going back and forth between the two. $50? Hell, I'd have paid $50 for one! 

A used NEX-7 still goes for about $450 (CAN) here in Vancouver, but a camera store probably wouldn't offer more than about $100 trade-in. Profit margins on used stuff tend to be much higher than on new equipment these days.

Prices for new Sony cameras and lenses have risen about 25% recently due to the low Canadian dollar. It looks as if I'll be in the used equipment queue from now on.

The latter versions of the rx100 must be better than the first.  I wish I had put a screen saver on mine, a lot of the finish has worn off and most of the time I keep it in its little case.

Have a look here:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2011/04/18/replacing-nex-lcd-cover-glass/

(by David Kilpatrick - well known to this forum)

The process for the RX100 is the same.

wim

Thanks Wim (and David K), that's very helpful.  My screen is starting to look like the one in the article.  I may try to tackle it myself, good to see it's not a lost cause.

Maria

Archived