Buy a cat? :D

I searched on "family dog" and there are 14,774 Results. Your images are probably are in there somewhere but as a fairly recent contributor (like me), they will be well down the list.

Paul,

They are there. Search "family dog paul chambers" and you'll see them all. As Alex says, there are thousands of "family dog" images. As a newbie you have a "median Rank" and your images will be returned mid way down the pack on any given search so you need to dig a bit deeper...

Beaten to it by Cofiant, you need to dig a bit deeper until you build up a good Ranking position.

J

Hi,

Newbie here again.  I was wondering about keywords that are in pairs, like "family dog", and especially place names that are two words (e.g., British Columbia, White Rock, New Westminster to name a few around here). I understand you cannot group these pairs together using quotation marks when entering keywords.  Is there some recommended way of keywording two-word terms/places to help searchers find the correct images (and get yours when they aren't looking for them)?

Hi,

Newbie here again.  I was wondering about keywords that are in pairs, like "family dog", and especially place names that are two words (e.g., British Columbia, White Rock, New Westminster to name a few around here). I understand you cannot group these pairs together using quotation marks when entering keywords.  Is there some recommended way of keywording two-word terms/places to help searchers find the correct images (and get yours when they aren't looking for them)?

My usual work ethic around this is to just use the word in between commas.

dog, big dog, smelly dog, canine.... etc etc

If I want someone to see that the image is of a big dog, I'd mention it in the essential keywords.

the other day I noticed someone searched for "scots Pine" Only one of my images appeared and I have 28 of them. I quickly, added scots pine into the essential keywords and today its appearing as it should. A little bit of closing the door when the horse has bolted, but its a learning curve :)

Oh and I really like your suset picture its gorgeous :)

There is no real point in adding quotation marks or commas but the order of the words can be important. If the buyer puts quotation marks around their search only images that have the words in that order will appear in the search. Also, the brackets are something that was talked about by Alamy but never implemented.

Paulette

Thanks Paulette

That's interesting as each use of the square bracket obviously takes up a character the same as a comma does and it's been pointed out previously that commas aren't required.

Thanks very much Paulstw, Paulette, and Alex.  

I just ran across a page that discusses the usage of square brackets that was mentioned, and other annotations:

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/annotation-options.asp

At the top of the same page it says:

We intend to introduce a number of additional annotation options to the Alamy Search Engine which will help improve the accuracy of search results for customers. You can prepare for these options by including them in your keywords now and so avoid having to edit them at a later date. These will be stored in the database and will come into effect when the changes to the Search Engine go live.

The good intensions have been there at least since 2009 when I joined Alamy, but still not introduced. Many of us have given up including these square brackets. They may never be introduced.

Edited PS: Oh, I see that NYCat has been around this before me. Sorry.

Archived