I'm new to LR4, and have been studying online tutorials.  So far only absorbing a bit of what I see/read, and go back over it again. Thinking about getting Kelby's book on it.

After testing my new Sony RX100 today, this was the first time I imported directly into LR.  Before I created a folder on my iMac desktop and imported into it.  Then once the import was finished, I right clicked on the icon and ejected the card from my card reader.

I couldn't find a place to eject the card in LR.  So I closed LR out and went to my desktop, there was no icon there to eject from either.  With trepidation, I removed my card from my card reader, but there has to be a good reason for the warning not to do this, right?

Is there a place in LR4 to eject, and I'm just not seeing it?

Betty

Sorry, I can't answer your question as I don't import direct into LR and I always eject the card from the desk top. However, I can highly recommend Kelby's book on LR4, I refer to it constantly.

I'm sure someone around here will be able to answer your question.

All the best.

I'll take a shot at this and say it is on the Import page -- I think bottom right. I seem to remember something you can check to have Lightroom eject your card after importing. Maybe you had it checked and that's why you saw no icon on the desktop. I'm on a Mac and i can go to the Finder to see that the card reader is connected. I eject there rather than having Lightroom do it. The Kelby book is great. Martin Evening's book goes into more detail and can be easier to look up specific things.

Paulette

Thank you!  I am familiar with Kelby books from my very first PS.  Saved my life. Since I'm used to his style, I think I'll go with that.

I'll check out the import page and see if I can find what you are talking about, Paulette. :)

Maybe I'm not understanding the problem here but it seems to be that you are concerned about not properly ejecting the card. I think the only reason to worry about not properly ejecting a card (or a drive) would be if you were writing data to the card. It shouldn't matter when you are importing. But general advice is always to copy the files from the card to the computer and then import the computer copies into Lightroom.

I think the Martin Evening book is excellent - very comprehensive, authoritative, well-written and very good value. I've not seen the Kelby book.

LR4 Automatically ejects the card after import.  I think this is optional but is checked by default.  So if you want the card ejected after the import, leave it set and you are good to go.

You don't mention this, and maybe you already have it covered but files imported are added to the catalog and physically copied someplace.  You have to tell LR where to copy them.  According to Kelby (and others) the best way to handle this is some form of organization until a single folder.  That way, if you ever have to re-install or move LR to a new computer it is literal a moments work to re-connect your catalog to the physical files.

Best practice is set up your import as a preset, with renaming, copyright info, location, backup location and any develop preset you want to apply.  Then when you import all of that is already taken care of and you don't have to re-think it each time.

Apologizes if you already knew all that but it is important to get started correctly with LR, its a lot harder to go back fix things.

Thanks for the info. The box is ticked, and I guess that's why I didn't get a slap on the hand when I pulled it from the reader, Paulette!  

I do have a book coming on LR4, so I should be good to go in a few days.  

Thanks for telling me to do what I'd been doing up until this last time and that is to copy to a folder, then import to LR.  Somehow, I got the idea (wrong) that was wrong, and I was supposed to import directly to LR.  I won't do that again!  There is some weird file extension on all my RAW files that I've never heard of before. ARW?  What the heck is that?  :)

If there is any trouble to get into, I'm sure to jump into it with both feet.

Betty

LR5?  Not going there. :)

Until you get a new camera and you need a new raw converter?

To overcome that it could be simply convert to DNG before hitting LR. Another step in your workflow, but saves having to upgrade LR.

Ken

Archived