No model/property releases for non-editorial use

Dear colleagues.

I'm starting to upload some pictures to Alamy and I have a question. The most of my pictures have been done during touristic trips, which means that in the most of them there are people around, public buildings, museums and so on. So this means model/property releases are required, but I don't have them. Therefore, I understand that I should sell these pictures under the next layout:

- RM license

- Model/property release required: Yes

- Do I have model/property relseases?: No

Then, I have read that I should also sell these pictures with restrictions for editorial-use only... and here my question shows up.

From my point of view, if I'm saying the picture requires model/property releases that I don't have, I think the buyer should decide if he wants to do a commercial use of them under that situation, isn't it? I mean, what's the point of setting "editorial use only" restrictions to a picture that must have releases for commercial use, that I don't have?

So I'm thinking about not setting restrictions to my pictures in these terms, because I guess that just by saying I don't have the required releases should be enough to avoid commercial use of them, and, in case somebody is doing commercial use of them, he's the responsible of its bad use, not me. Am I right?

Thank you very much in advance. These forums are great for newcomers ;)

I hope to be able to help people too in a near future!

Best regards.

Dear colleagues.

I'm starting to upload some pictures to Alamy and I have a question. The most of my pictures have been done during touristic trips, which means that in the most of them there are people around, public buildings, museums and so on. So this means model/property releases are required, but I don't have them. Therefore, I understand that I should sell these pictures under the next layout:

- RM license

- Model/property release required: Yes

- Do I have model/property relseases?: No

Then, I have read that I should also sell these pictures with restrictions for editorial-use only... and here my question shows up.

From my point of view, if I'm saying the picture requires model/property releases that I don't have, I think the buyer should decide if he wants to do a commercial use of them under that situation, isn't it? I mean, what's the point of setting "editorial use only" restrictions to a picture that must have releases for commercial use, that I don't have?

So I'm thinking about not setting restrictions to my pictures in these terms, because I guess that just by saying I don't have the required releases should be enough to avoid commercial use of them, and, in case somebody is doing commercial use of them, he's the responsible of its bad use, not me. Am I right?

Thank you very much in advance. These forums are great for newcomers ;)

I hope to be able to help people too in a near future!

Best regards.

Correct, you are right.

I do like you are doing, RM license, release required, no I don't have a release.

John.

Thanks god! I didn't want to apply restrictions picture by picture ;)

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

Best regards :)

No need to call me god! Just John will do! ;)

After the release of some of my new pictures, I have seen that all what buyers can see (in pictures that requires property release as well as in which don't require it) is

Model release : No
Property release : No

And the button saying that the buyer should know what to do.

So what's the point of saying, in the Manage Image, that the picture needs property release and that I don't have it? If I say a property released is not required, the effect is going to be the same and the buyer is going to see the same information.

I'm just saying this because I could save a lot of time, in the sense that by now I don't have property releases for any of my pictures, so yesterday I was worried checking picture by picture which one could need property releases, to say "yes, it is required; no, I don't have it" or "no, it's not required" If in both cases the result is going to be the same for the buyer, what's the point of distinguishing between both options?

Thanks!!

Best

Archived