This sentence showed up in an RM editorial sale today:

"Editorial – All Electronic Formats: (CD-Rom, DVD, Streaming, password-protected websites, Downloads); Duration: 15 years"

Any ideas what "downloads" might be all about? It sounds a bit worrying. Hopefully, the buyer puts some kind of limitation on how downloaded images might be used.

I had this for a children's book about Kenya that is online and downloadable as a pdf.

"Electronic and online books and associated materials, including downloadable products associated with electronic and online books. All licensed images will be embedded in the electronic formats at a dpi of no greater than 150. No images will be downloaded independently of their parent files. Duration : 7 Years"

Paulette

It seems to me that your image could be downloaded from a website as a desktop wallpaper for example, something like that.

I hope the price was right.

And I hope you're wrong and something like this just doesn't exist! If you mean that client can buy our image and sell it (still as image only), and... maybe let download for free... That would make no sense to me, any other artist and Alamy of course.

Had this use on Wednesday, never seen that before!

Usage: Editorial
Media: Examination papers - print and electronic
Print run: up to 10,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 01 April 2016
End: 01 April 2021
Includes online archival rights in perpetuity.

Usage: Editorial

Media: Examination papers - print and electronic

Print run: up to 10,000

Placement: Inside

Image Size: 1 page

Start: 01 April 2016

End: 01 April 2021

Includes online archival rights in perpetuity.

As a one time Examination Officer that seems entirely right to me. I don't know what the image is, but with a print run of just 10,000 it's not a major subject like (say) English. It will be "inside" because the questions are not printed on the front of the paper. Start 01/04/16 means it will appear in the Summer exams from 2016 (I recommend you say no more about the image as you might find the sale is quickly cancelled). Archival rights, who knows how long appeals, re-marks, and the like can take? How does the examiner avoid duplicate questions? The archive is essential.

Hope this explains the logic behind the Ts&Cs.

Archived