I started a new pseudo this year for a project of about 1,000 images, only part uploaded so far. Following the last rerank the pseudo is on page 22 on the BHZ measure. I hadn't checked it before. I was under the impression that new pseudos are kept at middle ranking for the first 12 months. I assume I have got it wrong!?

dov

New pseudos have always been at the low end of middle in spite of what is supposed to happen.  I also created a new one which started on page 22.

Pearl

That's where mine ended up, and they are stuck there after 9 months. It hardly feels like a median position.

That is most probably middle ground considering the amount of people that don't do BHZ.

bhz Stock Images (3,568)

Alamy contributors over 16000 AFAIK?

Also I see one with 392 BHZ images

If all contribs did BHZ then we may get a better idea.

Not to worry anyway, I am on page 5 of BHZ yet a search for redhead throws up 41,942 images and one of mine is on the first 4 lines, go figure.

BHZ not to be taken too seriously

I don't think the initial rank is set for a fixed period of time. Rather, IIRC reranking only occurs after a pseudo has accumulated a certain number of views, which a few years ago I estimated at about 2000-2500 views. Additionally,  if you have several BHZ pseudos, the higher ranking ones may push the newer pseudo down...

From the Alamy help pages :"When you create a new pseudonym we give it a “median” AlamyRank until we have gathered enough data to establish its actual rank."

So no mentioning of a period of time.

... if you have several BHZ pseudos, the higher ranking ones may push the newer pseudo down...

Interesting ... could you expand on this? I'm not sure I understand. 

... if you have several BHZ pseudos, the higher ranking ones may push the newer pseudo down...

Interesting ... could you expand on this? I'm not sure I understand. 

I simply mean the effect of the Diversity Algorithm. You could easily test this by deleting BHZ from a higher ranking pseudo(s) and check what happens to the position of a lower ranked image. I predict it'll go up.

Page 22 is a median ranking.  Your placement just means that there aren't that many lower ranked psuedos playing BHZ after page 22.  There are 30 pages at 120 per page so people think that page 15 would be the median.  It might be if everyone on Alamy used BHZ.  In turn page 30 might not be all that bad of a ranking.  BHZ is just a rough estimate, and if your photos don't have a lot of competition then it doesn't much matter how you are ranked.  BHZ will let you know if your ranking goes up or down drastically, which happens.  Lots of sales for lots of dollars seem to be the driving force behind ranking. 

Archived