5D Mirror lockup

Is it possible on a canon 5d Mark 2 to lock up the mirror and do continuous shooting? I wanted to see if it was possible to capture a video sequence in the small jpg setting., but I dont want the mirror banging up and down.

if you shoot your video in live view, with the 5D MkII, the mirror will already be raised. So yes you can! When you come out of live view, the mirror comes back down. Live view also can be used for shooting stills with the mirror up, in all available shooting modes.  

C.Fn III -6 set to 1

It's called Mirror Lockup

Page 199 in the manual:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300004270/01/eos5dmkii-im4-en.pdf

I don't have a 5d, I have 1Ds-s. But I assume the manual is correct.

wim

He means he wants to leave the mirror up continuously for many shots.

The normal method mentioned by John, you, and linked by Niels locks the mirror on first press then shoots on the next, but the mirror then drops, which is not the right answer!

Can it be locked up (stay up) for continuous shots?

I don't see that it can, but maybe there's a trick.

C.Fn III -6 set to 1

It's called Mirror Lockup

Page 199 in the manual:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300004270/01/eos5dmkii-im4-en.pdf

I don't have a 5d, I have 1Ds-s. But I assume the manual is correct.

wim

He means he wants to leave the mirror up continuously for many shots.

The normal method mentioned by John, you, and linked by Niels locks the mirror on first press then shoots on the next, but the mirror then drops, which is not the right answer!

Can it be locked up (stay up) for continuous shots?

I don't see that it can, but maybe there's a trick.

Yes I understand that, but C.Fn III -6 set to 1 is all we got from Canon.

If the mirror bothers you buy a mirrorless one. I don't see the point. Yes the Canons make noise and have quite a bit of mirror slap. Which of course they cannot admit without loss of face, so we get C.Fn III -6 in stead of a simple MLU. And it's true that it does work.

Again I don't see the point. If I do 500 HDRs in the course of a difficult blue hour shot, that's 1500 mirror slaps in an hour or so. Or mirror lock up and mirror slap. Sometimes in Live view mode. No big deal. (An average one would be 50 to 60.) Just don't forget to disable the lens stabilizer, like I did when it was full moon last time. Luckily I had been one day wrong and the next day the moon rose in a much better spot.

I have one of those timers also, probably the same, it does MLU as well. The interface could be better and I decided it's just too much hassle. There are plenty of apps now. If I would do time lapse, I would want a true (auto)ramping device. My choice would probably be GBTimelapse. There is a trial version that adds a watermark, but is fully functional. It looks like a great interface.

wim

As John has already said, simply shoot the sequence in live view - you can shoot as many images as you want and the mirror remains up throughout the sequence. I use LV with Magic Lantern hack to shoot up to 12 bracketed exposures for interior HDR and tend to shoot most work in LV. I would also recomment ML for use as an intervalometer and for bulb ramping, if needed....  Only problem I've had with ML is the battery drain when you take out the card and leave it out, I always just pop the batteries automatically when it's out of the slot.

As for battery drain, I frequently will shoot 700-1000 images on a two hour shoot using LV and a decent set of batteries, in a grip, will only drop to about 80% plus. Time intervals wlli obviously drop that a lot more.

Archived