What's going on with this price AND commission?

Rights Managed  Country: Slovak Republic

Usage: Editorial

Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic

Print run: up to 10,000

Placement: Inside

Image Size: 1/4 page

Start: 01 February 2015

End: 01 February 2020

Duration: 1 month.  $ 8.90

Total sales  $8.90

16 March 2015  Sale  CTDHFA  Sale     8.90

16 March 2015  Alamy Distribution Commission  CTDHFA  30%  2.67   

16 March 2015  Distributor Commission  CTDHFA  40% Distributor Commission  3.56

My payment: $2.67

I just read the other thread about Alamy Microstock and I believe this takes the cake! And why is Alamy double-dipping on the commission?

For a whopping whole $2.67 cents, almost a slap in the face!

Rights Managed  Country: Slovak Republic

Usage: Editorial

Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic

Print run: up to 10,000

Placement: Inside

Image Size: 1/4 page

Start: 01 February 2015

End: 01 February 2020

Duration: 1 month.  $ 8.90

Total sales  $8.90

16 March 2015  Sale  CTDHFA  Sale     8.90

16 March 2015  Alamy Distribution Commission  CTDHFA  30%  2.67   

16 March 2015  Distributor Commission  CTDHFA  40% Distributor Commission  3.56

My payment: $2.67

I just read the other thread about Alamy Microstock and I believe this takes the cake! And why is Alamy double-dipping on the commission?

For a whopping whole $2.67 cents, almost a slap in the face!

Because it's a sale through one of Alamy's distributors.

Alamy get 30%

Distributor gets 40%(!)

.....and you get 30%

John.

It's more than a slap in the face. It's like two people running up to you and kicking you where it hurts. One person does it 10% harder than the other. 

No, it isn't!

If it weren't for that distributor, you didn't had any sale at all. What do you expect? That he works and looks for clients for free? Bear in mind that at other agencies, the middlemen each take 50%

I'm not bothered by these low sales (Slovak Republic simply doesn't handle the same prices as in the UK or France or Germany), I see them as extras. For me, it's mainly important the end user pays a reasonable price and that the market is kept in a "healthy" state. 

That there are agencies that sell pictures for a couple of dollars directly to clients and that photographers are happy with that, THAT is a slap in the face. THAT ruins the market!

Cheers,

Philippe

It was meant to be a wee joke. The analogy is the funny bit. Have we lost a sense of humour? 

The price is what initially threw me off. When inputting the exact sale criteria that Alamy used for the sale the price generator came up with $40.00. As this was my first sale that went through a distributor it was a little unsettling to say the least! I have no problem with people making a profit but when the photographer that did all the work i.e. travel expenses, equipment costs, image optimization and keywording and you can't even buy a cup of coffee with your share it's quite unsettling.

The price is what initially threw me off. When inputting the exact sale criteria that Alamy used for the sale the price generator came up with $40.00. As this was my first sale that went through a distributor it was a little unsettling to say the least! I have no problem with people making a profit but when the photographer that did all the work i.e. travel expenses, equipment costs, image optimization and keywording and you can't even buy a cup of coffee with your share it's quite unsettling.

I wish I could give you a 100 greenies for that! A 100% of my thoughts exactly...

Every average Joe with a camera or a smartphone floods the picture market (just look at Alamy with their Stockimo). When a market is (over)saturated, the goods have no value anymore.

Dunno if you are a professional or not, but amateurs shouldn't moan, they are part of the price problem. Live with it!

Just my two cents. 

Aaah..... the pre-digital era  -_- Those were the days ..... when our work was respected   ^_^ Miss them  :mellow:

Cheers,

Philippe (I know, I know, I stepped - once more - on many toes  :rolleyes: )

You really must stop wearing those heavy boots, the circulation in my big toe has ceased.  :D

I am an amateur and partially agree with you. I still want proper compensation for my work as although I currently have amateur status, I hope to build and improve my port over time.  And those who are truly "professional", their work will certainly outshine mine (your nature shots put mine to shame) and they will still get the better dollars for the better shots. Surely the quality counts, and that should be what separates the professional from the amateur. I am sure you have a lot of work in offline agencies that wouldn't even look at my port.

The stock world is a different ball game than the art world, where I think the true professional separates himself from the chaff.

The online world creates an even playing field which is great for some and bad for others. Been that way in business for centuries. Change can be good, change can be bad, depending on which side of the fence you stand on.

Jill

Archived