your opinions please

geoff s

Before I switched to iMac I was running all my software from XP days on a Windows 7 machine.

The only difficulty I've had is with slide-scanning software, so I've kept my XP computer running for that.

I use VueScan, which I much prefer to anything else, and that works perfectly well on W7.

Alan

I might switch VueScan at some point. Right now I don't mind keeping two computers running. I use a KVM switch so that I can use the same monitor, etc.

Thanks Mr Chapman, reassuring that I'm roughly on the right track.

LR seems to be the way forward as I can't see any other way of getting an up to date version of ACR. Will speak to my local computer chappie about best way of getting round the xp issue. All a bit of a pain but  a review of my equipment and processes is probably overdue so this is the kick up the backside I needed

Geoff

I can't see any other way of getting an up to date version of ACR....

Geoff

There is another way. If you download the latest version of Adobe's free DNG convertor from here , it supports all the latest RAW file formats and can convert them into DNG files. All newer versions of PSE can load DNG files. Not sure how far back PSE provides this function, but it works in PSE7 and provides basic RAW adjustment tools, not as sophisticated as LR, but useful nevertheless.

Before I switched to iMac I was running all my software from XP days on a Windows 7 machine.

The only difficulty I've had is with slide-scanning software, so I've kept my XP computer running for that.

I use VueScan, which I much prefer to anything else, and that works perfectly well on W7.

Alan

I would second that and it works with most old film scanners. I use it, very occasionally, with an Microtek Artiscan 4000t using SCSI interface on a Windows Vista machine (the latest OS I could get drivers for the SCSI card)

I think you should be able to replace the SCSI card with a cheap modern alternative. I used to use one of those too and am sure that I used another card.

I can't see any other way of getting an up to date version of ACR....

Geoff

There is another way. If you download the latest version of Adobe's free DNG convertor from here , it supports all the latest RAW file formats and can convert them into DNG files. All newer versions of PSE can load DNG files. Not sure how far back PSE provides this function, but it works in PSE7 and provides basic RAW adjustment tools, not as sophisticated as LR, but useful nevertheless.

I thought we'd cracked it there for a minute, but unfortunately the DNG converter requires Windows 7 or 8 - so back to square one. XP seems to be the stumbling block. Once that has been overcome it seems I'll have a few options for RAW conversion 

unfortunately the DNG converter requires Windows 7 or 8 - so back to square one. XP seems to be the stumbling block.

Adobe converter runs on XP, at least for Sony NEX6 files. Speaking from experience. You might want to double-check the XP compartability.

unfortunately the DNG converter requires Windows 7 or 8 - so back to square one. XP seems to be the stumbling block.

Adobe converter runs on XP, at least for Sony NEX6 files. Speaking from experience. You might want to double-check the XP compartability.

I agree. If you haven't already tried it, then I suggest downloading it and trying, irrespective of what Adobe might say about compatibility. If that fails, I've got copies of the DNG convertor going back to 2012 (Version 5.7), the earlier ones definitely run on XP. What RAW files do you need to convert? Alternatively I notice Adobe DNG convertor 8.3 claimed to run on XP and is available here. Adobe DNG 8.4 is here, and was the 1st version to support the Fuji X-T1, although this appears to be when they stopped saying it was XP compatible. Give it a try.

Archived