Looking back at my recent Web use sales, they are almost all horizontals. Thanks, David, for pointing this out.

However, yesterday a vertical $168 postcard company sale popped up, while most of my Web use sales are for peanuts. So I'll definitely keep shooting both formats when possible.

That is almost funny, because nearly all postcards are horizontal,as the RACKS they are sold from display them that way - never ever managed to sell a vertical postcard!

Looking back at my recent Web use sales, they are almost all horizontals. Thanks, David, for pointing this out.

However, yesterday a vertical $168 postcard company sale popped up, while most of my Web use sales are for peanuts. So I'll definitely keep shooting both formats when possible.

That is almost funny, because nearly all postcards are horizontal,as the RACKS they are sold from display them that way - never ever managed to sell a vertical postcard!

True, most postcards are horizontal. But I guess that in the Netherlands they look at postcard racks while lying down:

BTRXJG.jpg

Usage: Consumer goods

Media: Postcards

Print run: up to 2,500

Start: 22 May 2013

End: 22 May 2016

I'm going to sound totally ignorant asking this (and I'm only mostly ignorant), but . . .

1. Do you shoot more horizontals or verticals?

2. Why?

I try to shoot about 50/50. I like to increase the options for possible use and thereby the chances of selling a license, and I like to challenge the grey matter to come up with good composition both ways. I was also encouraged in a former life to always present photos with lots of copyspace, and for me vertical is the best way to do that.

I submit about a third vertical here, but only about 17% of sales are vertical.

At another place, I submit over 50% vertical, and about 40% of my sales there are vertical.

Different market, different customers, different results.

dd

I've got 58% landscape and 39% portrait with 3% square ones but sales over the last 12 months are 71% landscape and 20% portrait with 9% square.

The low figure for portrait surprises me. I'd never thought about it before.

John.

I've got 58% landscape and 39% portrait with 3% square ones but sales over the last 12 months are 71% landscape and 20% portrait with 9% square.

The low figure for portrait surprises me. I'd never thought about it before.

John.

I had never thought about this much either. The preference for horizontals on the Web is definitely something to take into account. However, print (and e-book) sales still usually pay the best IME, so I will keep shooting plenty of verticals where appropriate.

Guest dlmphotog

When I'm "working" an image I move around and try different angles, heights, backgrounds/foregrounds as well as both vertical and horizontal orientations. Digital “film” is cheap so why not have more options to chose from when editing.

I have 69% horizontal and 31% vertical in sales (began with Alamy in 2004), but in the earlier years it was 67%/33%.

I have no idea of the breakdown for my collection.

Archived