Rokinon 12mm lens

Thanks, John, for the information. I find it odd that I would not have even accidentally come upon this info over time. I've never been a big fan of third-party lenses, but I do own a few. 

I'm not going to continue looking into this problem. In all likely hood, I will not be buying anymore camera equipment unless something falls apart. Even after I sell off all my Nikon gear and other items, I'll still have the RX10 and 3 Sony NEX bodies and the most useful lenses. I don't realistically see myself shooting far into the future.

Edo

Thanks, John, for the information. I find it odd that I would not have even accidentally come upon this info over time. I've never been a big fan of third-party lenses, but I do own a few. 

I'm not going to continue looking into this problem. In all likely hood, I will not be buying anymore camera equipment unless something falls apart. Even after I sell off all my Nikon gear and other items, I'll still have the RX10 and 3 Sony NEX bodies and the most useful lenses. I don't realistically see myself shooting far into the future.

Edo

Sounds like a good game plan to me. Life was simpler when cameras were simpler. Or was it?

I got an M42 lens mount for my X-T1 at Christmas which enable me to use my old Pentax K prime lenses. Couldn't believe it only cost me £9 to bring those old lenses back into use, manual only of course.

It was when I was researching for buying the lens mount that I came across a forum where people were pointing out the setting on the camera to be able to fire it without a lens. I had seen the option in the menu but assumed that it meant what it said and I couldn't understand why you would want to fire it without a lens attached. The EXIF data doesn't include the lens, focal distance or other settings but that's a minor problem.

Edo - why don't you go down to the shop and ask to try the lens on with this setting and buy it again if the test shots are acceptable?

Since you've been nice enough to try to be helpful, Alex, I'll be polite and answer.  :)

If I may quote myself: "I guess some of you are thinking, "Ed, you should have tried this or that." No. I bought a lens not a puzzle."

There are a lot of shooters who love--just love--dealing with the tools of photography. I've never been one of those. I see photography as being about 1.the subject, 2. seeing, 3. having a point of view, 4. being able to use your own set of tools, and 5. hard work. In my years as a pro (35?) I always bought and used the very best gear. I'm long retired now but still shoot some stock. I will live without a super-wide lens. One of my blogs was titled: Coulda, Woulda, Shouda. In fact it was in two parts. My basic point was that sometimes things go wrong in life. Often it's best to move on. That's what I'm gonna do here. 

It's possible to find help on many things by watching YouTube videos. I learned a simple, effective way to unclog my loo. Unfortunately most videos on camera equipment are inept; mumbling seems to be the presenters' main talent. 

Stay warm, Alex -- it's very cold here in NYC

Thanks for the link. Very positive review indeed.

I'm currently using the 16mm and ultra wide converter that David mentions. Maybe it's time to sell it. Hmmm...

the 16mm+wide or fisheye adapter is still less bulky than the Rokinon 12mm. Before sell your 16mm, compare both lenses and decide.

I sold most of my e-mount APS lenses (when I got the A7R) but kept the 16+fisheye and the 10-18f4. Second hand prices for the NEX7 is so low that I decided to keep that body and add the Sony 20mm and the Sigma 60mmf2.8 -all small and light and more-than-good-enough quality wise. Any Rokinon lens, even if they are quite good, will only add weight and size to your kit.

Thanks for the link. Very positive review indeed.

I'm currently using the 16mm and ultra wide converter that David mentions. Maybe it's time to sell it. Hmmm...

the 16mm+wide or fisheye adapter is still less bulky than the Rokinon 12mm. Before sell your 16mm, compare both lenses and decide.

I sold most of my e-mount APS lenses (when I got the A7R) but kept the 16+fisheye and the 10-18f4. Second hand prices for the NEX7 is so low that I decided to keep that body and add the Sony 20mm and the Sigma 60mmf2.8 -all small and light and more-than-good-enough quality wise. Any Rokinon lens, even if they are quite good, will only add weight and size to your kit.

Good suggestions. If I did buy the Rokinon/Samyang, I would sell the UWA converter but keep the 16mm and fisheye converter. I'd like to actually handle the Rokinon 12mm before buying one. Difficult (perhaps even impossible) to do here in Vancouver because nobody here seems to carry this lens. Images taken with the 16mm+UWA do pass QC, but I have to be very careful. Centre sharpness is surprisingly good.

Archived