Sony A7S - really? 2 grand?

My D800 seems to stay in the studio, these days. Funny thing. I should be using it for pictures of things I bake. A tripod is handy, no big deal to use it. My hand seems to reach for the Fuji of it's own accord. I shoot my food hand held and get sharp images.

My job shooting jewelry in the studio is done, and the D800 is gathering cobwebs. At the end of that job, I'd begun using the Fuji even for that!

I tell myself I have to keep the 800 for use with my 80-400 nikon lens for birding, yet the whole summer has passed without me mounting it once.

I've just been having too much fun with my X-T1, I guess. And my arthritic hands love it.

Betty

My D800 seems to stay in the studio, these days. Funny thing. I should be using it for pictures of things I bake. A tripod is handy, no big deal to use it. My hand seems to reach for the Fuji of it's own accord. I shoot my food hand held and get sharp images.

My job shooting jewelry in the studio is done, and the D800 is gathering cobwebs. At the end of that job, I'd begun using the Fuji even for that!

I tell myself I have to keep the 800 for use with my 80-400 nikon lens for birding, yet the whole summer has passed without me mounting it once.

I've just been having too much fun with my X-T1, I guess. And my arthritic hands love it.

Betty

Betty, I am the same. I keep telling myself that I need to keep the Canon 1Ds3 and all those lenses to shoot sport. This summer I had one day photographing powerboat racing. The only other time I used the Canon was last week when I needed to use flash at a writers' event where they were reading their work - the noise of the Canon made me wince, it was embarrassing! I covered nearly 40 events in a week and I only dared use the Canon the once.

I ought to bite the bullet and sell my Canon stuff while it still has some value - I can always use the money to upgrade my Fuji when the next generation comes along - like the new fast and long lenses over the next year. And the 24Mpx X-T2 with superfast AF - well, one can hope.

My hand seems to reach for the Fuji of it's own accord.

Mine does too, because I like the idea of the X-T1. But I just can't bring myself to like the camera. Every time I take it out on a wave of optimism I come back with pics that are not as good as the 5D2 would have taken. Yesterday I was shooting indoors in fairly low light and I pushed the ISO up to 3200 which I would have thought was well within its capabilities. I can't run the pics through Lightroom yet because I'm away from home, but looking at them in the Fuji RAW converter on my laptop the noise is truly appalling.

Nothing about this camera has persuaded me that it's worth keeping. Mirrorless may well be the future, but for me at least this is not that future.

Alan

I also like the idea of the X-T1 as a lightweight camera for when I didn't want to carry my Nikon full frames and indeed did purchase one with a 18-55 and the 55-200, I wasn't expecting the focus to keep up with my Nikons on moving stuff and it doesnt ( so I am not too worried there ) I have also managed to get some reasonable Jpegs which can be transferred straight to my Ipad and then can be uploaded to news via FTP wherever I am ( another plus side to the X-T1 ) 

But one thing is bugging me with it and maybe some of you fuji users can help... Watercolour effect yep thats what bugs me, my wife and myself were in the new forest yesterday and both took a load of images and the only difference was I left my nikon full frame at home and took the fuji X-T1 whilst my wife took her D600 full frame and Nikon 24-70 lens, we both took nice images that looked good on the camera screen ( properly exposed, nicely composed etc ) untill I downloaded them and worked on them in  lightroom, the Nikon files  as always came out good but the Fuji images had nice foregrounds  but when viewing them at 100% the backgrounds had a horrible watercolour /smudge type effect.

I have done a bit of reading up on this and now gather it is fairly common, it was noted that lightroom made it worse so I downloaded capture 1- 8 which was a bit better but oh so slow to use and crashed quite a lot..

So what do you Fuji users use to convert your raw files on a pc that doesnt give the watercolour effect, or is the smudgy look in the background something that we have to put up with.. ( I wont be getting rid of the Fuji as I think it is a great little camera, but would dearly like to get rid of the smudgy looking backgrounds )

Just downloading silkypix to see if it is any better..

Thanks for reading, Steve.

My hand seems to reach for the Fuji of it's own accord.

Mine does too, because I like the idea of the X-T1. But I just can't bring myself to like the camera. Every time I take it out on a wave of optimism I come back with pics that are not as good as the 5D2 would have taken. Yesterday I was shooting indoors in fairly low light and I pushed the ISO up to 3200 which I would have thought was well within its capabilities. I can't run the pics through Lightroom yet because I'm away from home, but looking at them in the Fuji RAW converter on my laptop the noise is truly appalling.

Nothing about this camera has persuaded me that it's worth keeping. Mirrorless may well be the future, but for me at least this is not that future.

Alan

I took pictures indoors at a wedding. Light was poor. No, I wasn't the wedding photographer, I just took off the cuff stuff of the rehearsal and wedding. I set ISO and shutter on A. I tweaked compensation a few times when looking through the viewfinder and watching the histogram.

While I always shoot in Raw, this time I shot in JPEG. ISO almost always used 3200. The images were very low noise. All the portraits were perfect. I've developed some, not in Lightroom, but photoshop opened in Raw. You would be hard pressed to tell them from ISO 200. I used my 56mm lens and my 18-135.

Betty

So what do you Fuji users use to convert your raw files on a pc that doesnt give the watercolour effect, or is the smudgy look in the background something that we have to put up with.. ( I wont be getting rid of the Fuji as I think it is a great little camera, but would dearly like to get rid of the smudgy looking backgrounds )

Not had much chance to use my X.T1 yet as always grab my X.Pro ! Usually shoot J.peg and RAW and usually just use the out of camera j.pegs but have processed from RAW files using Adobe DNG convertor.Never had a problem with the watercolour effect after being advised to set the in camera noise reduction to minus 2 and the sharpness to minus 1.

Steve

I have been using Fuji for about 15 months - X-E1 and now X-T1 as well. I use 10-24, 18-55, 18-135 (my do everything lens until I dropped it :( )and 55-200. I was not really conscious of the watercolour effect but most of what I shoot is urban. A friend recently raised it as an issue with his X100 so I had another look last week. I do get it with my preferred onverter, C1Pro 7 (and 8), with foliage but it had not really struck me, it is the out of focus stuff anyway. It seems to be when it just out of focus, perhaps not so much an issue where it is completely out of focus. But it hasn't been an issue with QC so far.

I haven't done any serious testing as I have been too busy but I will in due course.

Edited to add: As Martyn says I felt it I was getting some (on dark fabrics) when I applied too much noise reduction & sharpening on some high ISO images (1600-3200). For those, as it was news, I reduced the noise reduction, so there was just a trace of noise left in the shadows and then downsized the images to around 75-80% which averaged the noise out and gave a clean image.

Do you get it with OOC jpegs?

Not had much chance to use my X.T1 yet as always grab my X.Pro ! Usually shoot J.peg and RAW and usually just use the out of camera j.pegs but have processed from RAW files using Adobe DNG convertor.Never had a problem with the watercolour effect after being advised to set the in camera noise reduction to minus 2 and the sharpness to minus 1.

I also have my X-T1 set to minus 2 for noise reduction and minus 1 for sharpening after reading about it on the web ( it might have been Duncan from this forum ) it might just be being over fussy me where as I am used to dealing with files from my nikons which don't seem to suffer with the watercolour effect,  the fuji doesn't suffer all of the time mainly busy stuff like foliage etc. ( i think it may be fairly common as there is plenty on the web about it ) I am sure when I have processed a few hundred more fuji images I wont even notice it.

Steve

I have been using Fuji for about 15 months - X-E1 and now X-T1 as well. I use 10-24, 18-55, 18-135 (my do everything lens until I dropped it :( )and 55-200. I was not really conscious of the watercolour effect but most of what I shoot is urban. A friend recently raised it as an issue with his X100 so I had another look last week. I do get it with my preferred onverter, C1Pro 7 (and 8), with foliage but it had not really struck me, it is the out of focus stuff anyway. It seems to be when it just out of focus, perhaps not so much an issue where it is completely out of focus. But it hasn't been an issue with QC so far.

I haven't done any serious testing as I have been too busy but I will in due course.

Edited to add: As Martyn says I felt it I was getting some (on dark fabrics) when I applied too much noise reduction & sharpening on some high ISO images (1600-3200). For those, as it was news, I reduced the noise reduction, so there was just a trace of noise left in the shadows and then downsized the images to around 75-80% which averaged the noise out and gave a clean image.

Do you get it with OOC jpegs?

As I have said to Martyn ( above ) I set the camera minus 2 for noise and minus 1 for sharpness and the jpegs are good ( love the idea of getting jpegs right in the camera whizzing them across to the ipad with the fuji/ipad software, checking them and uploading to news all very quickly ) the problem was when I was processing raw files from both camera's and then comparing them side by side with files from my full frame camera and really good glass, in all fairness the main objects of the images that have been focused on are really good it was just the out of focus background stuff , foliage and busy sort of stuff that looks smeared.. I was trying capture 1 vers 8 and it kept crashing on my PC and was painfully slow so I took it off and tried with version 7 which appears to be a lot more stable for me..I also put silkypix on and tried that...that didn't last long before it was uninstalled 

I might try the DNG route that Martyn uses and see what happens there, either way as I said to Martyn after a few hundred more fuji images I wont notice the difference :)

I posted this in another thread.

My settings in LR for sharpness and noise which have, so far, worked for me.

Sharpness  Amount 78

Radius  1.0

Detail    10

Masking 25

Noise reduction Luminance  0 (so detail and smoothness are greyed out)

Colour 25

Detail 50

Smoothness 50

Allan

Archived