Alamy SizeChecker and 17 MB files

I wonder if a reduced size requirement would have any effect on the acceptability of scanned 35mm film.

It might help but I put mine through the archival route - after all my film images are at least 12 years old. As part of another discussion member services agreed it would be OK to resubmit old film scans (20+Mpx) that way after they had been deleted because of conflicting attributes.

I wonder if a reduced size requirement would have any effect on the acceptability of scanned 35mm film.

It might help but I put mine through the archival route - after all my film images are at least 12 years old. As part of another discussion member services agreed it would be OK to resubmit old film scans (20+Mpx) that way after they had been deleted because of conflicting attributes.

Thanks. I didn't know about submitting images as archival, but that term would describe most of what I have on film so I'll look into it.

Thanks. I didn't know about submitting images as archival, but that term would describe most of what I have on film so I'll look into it.

It is worth noting that I take much the same strict approach as I do with my QC for new images but take account of the impact of film grain on sharpness etc. It is not a route for uploading weak stuff - rather the reverse, arguably the image has to be better compositionally or have a stronger story to overcome the lower technical quality.

I'd only be interested in submitting those images which have some historical value, not images that could be duplicated in better quality today on digital. How do you flag them as archival/historical when they are uploaded?

I'd only be interested in submitting those images which have some historical value, not images that could be duplicated in better quality today on digital. How do you flag them as archival/historical when they are uploaded?

You have to apply for the reportage/archival upload privileges; you need a good QC record.

I think it is an option on the Upload tab on My Alamy.

• 5 months later...

I just tried the Alamy SizeCheck program with a 17 MB file, and it rejected the image (no big surprise). So I guess this handy little program will now have to be updated.

An updated Alamy size checker is now available that recognises the new 17Mb limit.

http://www.braeside.plus.com/photography/alamy/alamy.html

I just tried the Alamy SizeCheck program with a 17 MB file, and it rejected the image (no big surprise). So I guess this handy little program will now have to be updated.

An updated Alamy size checker is now available that recognises the new 17Mb limit.

http://www.braeside.plus.com/photography/alamy/alamy.html

Thanks, I've downloaded it.

Archived