Help from X-E1 users please

Hi,

I wonder if any of you lovely X-E1 users would mind sharing your settings with me please. By this I mean, color + or -, highlight tone, noise reduction etc etc.  I am having shocking problems with mine, after what seemed like a good start.  I am using the 18-55 kit lens and use aperture priority, always. I think I have a duff lens as the CA problems are absolutely horrendous, but Fuji have said to take it/send it to them with the camera and they will test it.  I think its a little more than that though, for example, I used the multi focus mode at the weekend instead of area which I normally use and the camera just did not seem to be able to fix on any focus point, so most images lost into the bin. I know the focus is notoriously slow, but... awful. The exposures although look fine one the histograms also leave alot to be desired.

Now I love the feel of this little camera, and in the right conditions it is brilliant, but I am not happy about having to start taking my 5D back out aswell.

I would just like to make sure I am using it correctly if that makes sense, as I am so used to the Canon and its little idiosynrocis.

Thanks in advance. Have a good evening.

I used the default settings with the same camera-lens set up and did not notice any CA or purple fringing until I got the 18-135 for my X-T1 and then only occasionally. I shot predominantely in raw so they would have been visible. OOC jpgs clean it up well on my X-T1, not used the X-E1 in that way recently.

I had cause to get my 55-200 checked and Fuji in the UK turned it round very quickly, even provided prepaid labels as I recall.

I use the X-E1 with 18-55 lens, and have been very happy with the results, no problems passing Alamy QC. Like yourself, I mostly use aperture priority, and with default (eg, 0) settings, apart from noise reduction which is set to -2. Have not experienced any particular CA problems, and where minor fringing is visible at 100%, its easily rectified with Lightroom. Regards focus speed, the X-E1 is not as good as a DSLR, but assuming you have the lastest firmware for the camera/lens combo, its good enough (IMO) for anything other than fast moving subject matter. If you think its a camera problem, letting Fuji test it is probably a good idea.

I have just bought the XE-1 with the 35mm lens and I'm very impressed, even with the images I took in lower light at ISO 800 and with the lens wide open or nearly wide open.  Maybe your problem is with the lens?  Also, when I turned on my XE1 it gave me the message UPDATE FIRMWARE so I did that.  Have you checked to see if you need to update the firmware?  The only setting I sometimes changed was to "bracket" down a few times to avoid a blown out sky, easy to do with the dial on top.  I am using aperture priority, RAW/normal jpeg.  Good luck.

I use the X-E1 with 18-55 lens, and have been very happy with the results, no problems passing Alamy QC. Like yourself, I mostly use aperture priority, and with default (eg, 0) settings, apart from noise reduction which is set to -2. Have not experienced any particular CA problems, and where minor fringing is visible at 100%, its easily rectified with Lightroom. Regards focus speed, the X-E1 is not as good as a DSLR, but assuming you have the lastest firmware for the camera/lens combo, its good enough (IMO) for anything other than fast moving subject matter. If you think its a camera problem, letting Fuji test it is probably a good idea.

Definitely agree

Think you have a dud and fuji should rectify that

Thanks for taking the time everyone, back to Fuji it is.

I'm sure that is is the correct way to handle it. I am very pleased with the 18-55 and it spends a lot of time on my X-E1 or [wait for it...] the underrated X-M1 with its tilting screen. Shooting raw and without hesitation to iso 1600. Conversion with Irridient Developer. CA not been a big issue in spite of best attempts to conjure it up in a Victorian covered market with glass and wrought iron roof

Good Luck

John

I agree with Number Six. After struggling with PF and to some extent CA in raw files, I went to shooting JPEGs with the X-E1. I shoot automated brackets, take the lightest one that doesn’t have clipped highlights and open that in Silkypix 6. I use default settings except for sharpness, which is set at –1. I don’t use the camera’s dynamic range extension or film simulation options, but do use Silkypix’s Dodge & Color Burn and film simulations. If dynamic range is still an issue, I save at multiple exposure levels and recombine them in Photomatix.

Very interesting to see how people handle this camera. I use the DR200 setting on both the X-E1 and X100 with the Provia "standard" film simulation. As a result, I very rarely see any clipping on post processing histograms. (unless I've done something stupid) and really like the output.

Archived