Lightroom Flickering When Keywording?

I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue.

When I keyword images in Lightroom, occasionally, the computer (Windows 7, 16gb RAM, Intel i7-2600 Processor, 3.40 Ghz) will flicker to a black screen, then reset itself.  One time I had the entire computer lock up.

I've been battling this for about 2 or 3 years - through various versions of Lightroom.  It's even driven me to replace the video card thinking it was going out.  That didn't resolve the issue.  Note this ONLY happens when I'm keywording in Lightroom.

Earlier this week, I've discovered that it only happens when I start to keyword with a word that starts with the letter 'C'

I know it sounds funny but I am totally serious about this issue.  It's driving me nuts.  Anyone else ever experience this?

Thanks.

Strangely enough I began experiencing this only recently. It is incredibly annoying and leads me to think of reverting to bridge for keywording. I hadn't thought about the video card but I did replace mine recently - not sure why it would make a difference though, new one is supposedly better than the old one.

Geoff my graphics card is Nvidia but it does only do this in LR. Is there a reason why Nvidia? 

Nvidia has had a problem with the Windows Kernel Mode driver with it's newest updates. I had to get rid of the updates and re-install the original drivers from a year or so ago.

It doesn't really make sense that LR alone would set off the problem.

thanks Geoff - it does seem very coincidental that my problem started when I installed my new nvidia card. My computer isn't used for much else than photo processing with LR and Photoshop c5 and also internet. Out of those only LR has a problem and it is only whilst keywording.

Interesting Geoff....my prior graphics card was an Nvidia.  When I replaced it for this issue (which wasn't necessary) it was replaced with a newer Nvidia card - the mother board could not handle the latest and greatest card so I had to limit the purchase to the best that would work on my particular mother board.

I only have an issue in Lightroom....and as mentioned, this past week I noticed it was only when adding keywords starting with a 'C'.

Very bizzare.

I am having the same trouble with PhotoMechanic, Only in the past week since i upgraded to a new computer with a Nvidia card,  my old PC had a Radeon card never a problem!

So i am guessing it may be the Nvidia.

Paul.

This is intriguing, especially the keywords (moreover those beginning with C) trigger. Very odd as one would think that it would be more likely to cause problems when in the develop module which is a bit of a beast. I would suggest that you may get a more definitive answer on the Adobe forums for something of this nature. 

I am having the same trouble with PhotoMechanic, Only in the past week since i upgraded to a new computer with a Nvidia card,  my old PC had a Radeon card never a problem!

So i am guessing it may be the Nvidia.

Paul.

I noticed something similar only recently with PM but I thought I hadn't changed anything. I wonder whether I updated the drivers when I did a windows update..

- This afternoon it's happening on keywords that begin with the letter 'S'.  Grrrrrrr..... -

I confirm the flickering esp. with letter S. It is the LR bug.

So, I usually write keywords in the Note, then copy and paste them into LR keyword box. I save the Note file and so I have one more copy of all my photos descriptions and keywords. It is useful, IMO.

Archived