12 days of hard work - away from the hazy days

Jools Elliott

And so it seems that many people couldn't fathom out why I work in the way that I do. Decrying that I should take what I'm given and change the way in which I work.

The main bulk of my work goes somewhere an editor makes the final choice and not the photographer. That is something a lot of people here don't have experience of and quite frankly should as it would show them they need to up their game...a lot!

Being called, in a subversive way, lazy is something I take umbrage about. During my 12 days in England and Wales I managed to capture some scenes that I am happy about. Yes, I am sure that there are some things that could be improved but for what I was given weather wise I am happy. The places won't be going away anytime soon and I can get back if needs must.

Was it worth the driving I did chasing the best of the weather? Yes!

Corfe Castle under heavy mist

mg_6153.jpg?w=640&h=426

Colmer's Hill near Bridport. Could have better skies but the haze was coming

mg_6784.jpg?w=640&h=426

The river Dart in Dartmoor. A return trip is needed!

mg_7164.jpg?w=640&h=426

Grasmere in the Lake District

mg_7168.jpg?w=640&h=426

Reflections on Grasmere. I want this again but with more colour

mg_7174.jpg?w=640&h=426

Rydal Water in the Lake District

mg_7197.jpg?w=640&h=426

A cliché but I couldn't resist it. The boats on Derwentwater

mg_7823.jpg?w=640&h=426

The view over Derwentwater

mg_7829.jpg?w=640&h=426

The view from Loughrigg

mg_8527.jpg?w=640&h=426

Loughrigg Tarn

mg_8548.jpg?w=640&h=426

Gwydyr Forest sunrise

mg_8556.jpg?w=640&h=426

Llanwrst

mg_8570.jpg?w=640&h=426

Welsh Highland Railway

mg_9193.jpg?w=640&h=426

Harlech Castle

mg_9215.jpg?w=640&h=426

Snowdon under stars

mg_9249.jpg?w=640&h=426

Vineyards near Ironbridge

mg_9254.jpg?w=640&h=426

Severn Valley Railway

mg_9261.jpg?w=640&h=426

Worcester cathedral

mg_9272.jpg?w=640

Salisbury cathedral

mg_9281.jpg?w=640&h=426

mg_9297.jpg?w=640&h=426

No-one's calling you lazy. No-one's decrying your pictures. Believe it or not, it's not all about you.

You asked for suggestions about where to go because you couldn't take the photos you wanted to take. You were given suggestions, along the lines of if you can't shoot what you want, why not shoot what you can?

You've got a great set of pics. You chased all over the country to get what you wanted last week. I stayed in one place and got what I found. So what?

Alan

And so it seems that many people couldn't fathom out why I work in the way that I do. Decrying that I should take what I'm given and change the way in which I work.

The main bulk of my work goes somewhere an editor makes the final choice and not the photographer. That is something a lot of people here don't have experience of and quite frankly should as it would show them they need to up their game...a lot!

Being called, in a subversive way, lazy is something I take umbrage about. During my 12 days in England and Wales I managed to capture some scenes that I am happy about. Yes, I am sure that there are some things that could be improved but for what I was given weather wise I am happy. The places won't be going away anytime soon and I can get back if needs must.

Was it worth the driving I did chasing the best of the weather? Yes!

Corfe Castle under heavy mist

mg_6153.jpg?w=640&h=426

Colmer's Hill near Bridport. Could have better skies but the haze was coming

mg_6784.jpg?w=640&h=426

The river Dart in Dartmoor. A return trip is needed!

mg_7164.jpg?w=640&h=426

Grasmere in the Lake District

mg_7168.jpg?w=640&h=426

Reflections on Grasmere. I want this again but with more colour

mg_7174.jpg?w=640&h=426

Rydal Water in the Lake District

mg_7197.jpg?w=640&h=426

A cliché but I couldn't resist it. The boats on Derwentwater

mg_7823.jpg?w=640&h=426

The view over Derwentwater

mg_7829.jpg?w=640&h=426

The view from Loughrigg

mg_8527.jpg?w=640&h=426

Loughrigg Tarn

mg_8548.jpg?w=640&h=426

Bloody hell, it's like from Lord of the Rings:)

Well you have certainly hit the jackpot with Snowdon, not to mention Corfe Castle, Jules.  Especially pleasant after that acid trip round Iceland. 

If they are not hanging in pride of place, undertheath the antlers, at Getty Towers very soon, I shall personally write a letter of complaint.

And that is a promise.

Thanks for all the kind comments people!

Hopefully now you will all see what I strive for. I am an utter perfectionist and I have very very clear ideas of what it is that I want out of an image.

Many people are forever complaing about the dross that is uploaded onto Alamy and that it is full of weekend warriors. If I just made do then I would be joining those ranks and that is something I am not prepared to do.

Everytime I go out the shutter gets pressed less and less because of my intentions.

Back in the UK as of Sunday. No idea where I'm going though!

Jules - very nice indeed. I particularly liked the ones of Loughrigg Tarn and Llanwrst   :)

Kumar

Just for the record - and to help Jules' keywording in case his spelling here is not just a typo - it's spelt Llanrwst. I have a cottage in Snowdonia - about 5 mins drive over that bridge, past the virginia creeper clad cafe and on a bit to the next village. The cottage, like my main home and studio, paid for from the proceeds of photography, exhibitions and print sales. Ain't photography wonderful!? 

Archived