This morning I was doing some research. I wanted to see if anybody else on Alamy had uploaded photos of the new Exploratorium (sort of a kid oriented science museum) in San Francisco. It just moved and has been open in the new location for about a month or so. I uploaded a few a couple weeks ago.

I was surprised to see only one photo, not mine when I searched Exploratorium by taken in the *last three months.* So I went in to Alamy manage images 2.4 and took a look at the date. I assumed that there would be no date at all in the field but instead it listed 19.09.2012. The actual date, as shown in the same images uploaded to Flickr and Zenfolio show taken on 02.05.2013. Of course I *know* my dates aren't that jacked up, since I also geotagged that same set and have to sync the images with my location history from Google Latitude. Also I on occasion have to sync my camera clock with a coworker so our images list in the proper order for events. Plus the Alamy dates are jacked up on both my Sony NEX and Canon 5d MKII images. And it's easy for me to reference since all my photos are named with the date as part of my Lightroom workflow (YearMonthDay_serialno.) Further research showed that dates on Alamy appear incorrect just from images uploaded this year, but that's just from some random sampling.

Guess I should send this straight to Alamy? Seems like a major problem. I was just trying to search like a photo buyer would. If I were writing a story on the new Exploratorium, I'd search by date. But by the Alamy dates, a buyer would assume that my photos were taken in the old location.

Anybody else having this problem. What should I do? 

You have not by any chance accidentally copied a date across when using the Location and Date attributes field in Manage Images 2.4? Let's say you have a batch in the selection tray, and forget that even if you just select one of these, any change you make in ONE file in the bottom tray will apply to all. Unlike working on images in the pre-select lightbox, where each change made is unique to the single image. It's quite easy to forget which mode you are working in and apply a change across a set of files by mistake. That could include setting an incorrect date.

You have not by any chance accidentally copied a date across when using the Location and Date attributes field in Manage Images 2.4? Let's say you have a batch in the selection tray, and forget that even if you just select one of these, any change you make in ONE file in the bottom tray will apply to all. Unlike working on images in the pre-select lightbox, where each change made is unique to the single image. It's quite easy to forget which mode you are working in and apply a change across a set of files by mistake. That could include setting an incorrect date.

Good point, but I can't recall ever wanting or attempting to change a date ever on Alamy. So I don't think I'd do it in batch or as a single. I do and did edit the location field on that tab however. But in order to make a change to the date Manage Images makes you enter (Day) (Month) (Year) separately in each field which would be hard to imagine doing randomly. Looks like ReRay mentions he had such a problem too. Alamy says they're looking into it now.

This is a little more complicated than I expected. Got a reply with a screen grab from Alamy showing the IPTC "date created" field incorrect. I am now at the office with access to the actual files I uploaded and indeed that specific field is WRONG! However there are a number of locations where the date is displayed besides this field and those are correct. The file in windows shows the correct created and modified dates. The description tab in Photoshop also shows the correct date. Audio data tab 1 shows the correct date (don't know why there is an audio tab for a still image but whatever...) Camera Data 1 tab is also correct. Origin tab however is also WRONG. I've never looked at most of these tabs before.

This appears somehow to have to do with my workflow from Lightroom. Just downloaded the file same from my own SiliconValleyStock.com website. There the same photo displays the date correctly online, but the IPTC field is wrong when viewed in PS. So it appears that Zenfolio, Flickr, Photoshelter get their taken on dates from the other correct fields.Think I'll bring this discussion over to Adobe forums and I'll try and explain where things went wrong if and when I figure this out. Of course any thoughts are welcome if you all have them though.

Sample images here: LINK

Interesting. I've seen problems with lens data after editing in PSE or LR. I starting looking into the EXIF / IPTC fields with an EXIF editior to see what was going on, and it appeared to me the way these fields are handled is quite a dark art. Some fields appeared to be omitted (manufacturer data) others were "remapped" or "renamed". I gave up trying to understand it.

Mark

Archived