Photographer for a day

I was kicking around the idea of "renting myself out" in 2 different scenarios.

One would be people paying a flat fee and I basically follow them and the kids for 8 hours taking a zillion shots and then they get their choice of say 25 - 50 of the pictures taken. They can pay extra for detailed editing (beyond basic stuff). I keep the rights to the photos and can sell editorially without releases.

Another would be me following for free and giving them prints (or low res digital negatives) of the photos (no rights) and they must sign model releases for me to sell elsewhere.

Anyone ever done anything like this? Getting releases for kids is tough unless they are your own, and mine are grown and gone.

Jill

I hear you.  I recently took baby pictures for a family member and provided them jpegs of a bunch of them, freebee. The pictures turned out very nice.  A week or so later, I asked for a model release and got a few questions, then nothing.  I have them here as editorial.

I think you have a nice idea, but doubt you'd have many takers unless you could tap into children's birthday parties or sporting events, that type of thing.  Maybe hand out flyers?

Betty

I hear you.  I recently took baby pictures for a family member and provided them jpegs of a bunch of them, freebee. The pictures turned out very nice.  A week or so later, I asked for a model release and got a few questions, then nothing.  I have them here as editorial.

I think you have a nice idea, but doubt you'd have many takers unless you could tap into children's birthday parties or sporting events, that type of thing.  Maybe hand out flyers?

Betty

Trouble with parties or sporting events is the number of releases you would end up needing and I think the everyday photo is a better choice for stock.

I might just do some flyers and put them up on boards or give them out. Senior Centres maybe?  I may contact some of them. I think seniors are less likely to mind signing a model release than a parent of a child. 

Never hurts to ask them. I just know that model released shots have a much higher chance of selling.

Jill

I don't know what it's like in Canada but over here I would expect most people to wonder why they would need to pay a photographer when they can take crappy, poorly composed and badly lit photos themselves with their phones.

Alan

Another would be me following for free and giving them prints (or low res digital negatives) of the photos (no rights) and they must sign model releases for me to sell elsewhere.

That's a way of working i use a lot. Depending on the type of images you make of them it can be very, very, succesful

km

That's a way of working i use a lot. Depending on the type of images you make of them it can be very, very, succesful

km

So how do you go about it Keith? Do you advertise or just go up to people?

I was considering going on a senior's outing for a one of the retirement places here and they get photos as long as the people sign releases.

I know having a model release really improves the odds of a sale.

Jill

"Another would be me following for free and giving them prints (or low res digital negatives) of the photos (no rights) and they must sign model releases for me to sell elsewhere."

I have done this sort of thing (offering complementary pictures) not for releases but for access.  I found it best works best when not assigned.  It may take several hours to get the two or three shots that are really going to do it for you, and the chances are that shooting for a client is not going to give you much chance to get those.  My top Alamy seller was obtained in this way. 

So how do you go about it Keith? Do you advertise or just go up to people?

I get asked all the time to photograph people/events/places.....

I either do it for a straight fee, or, if i think that the sitiation/place/person is suitable, for free in exchange for signed releases or , as Robert said, the access..

and, to tie this in to another topic.....I use Twitter and Facebook to develop the network of people who are important in the marketing of my skills/work/service.....which then leads to the above happening

not rocket science, but not short term either...

km

I think it works for Keith (as a follower of your twitter work) because he creates a tight system. At not one point down the digital line is Keiths work open for copyright theft. Coupled with getting great pics and keeping such a good following on Twitter I can understand why it's been a success. It would take a while to create that sort of user base, but with the right work and dedication it's not impossible. 

If I'm out in Glasgow and I see a good photo opportunity I will ask the person first off. The below image was a good example of that. I asked the wee boys mum and at first she was pretty annoyed. I explained who I was and where the image was going and I'd send her a copy and she was chuffed. Image was licensed the other day. 

E1C4HK.jpg

Archived