Canon 5d shooting blanks.

I'm still working (not photography) in France and shooting for pleasure, well at least I was until my Canon 5dmk11 started shooting blanks!

Is this common?

I don't get much internet but have sent a question to Canon UK and am awaiting a reply.

The camera seems to function normally in ever way except when I take the shot... it takes an age to complete it's processing even at 1000 of a second and then presents a blank white/pink/black image. I will still keep shooting with my rx10 but I wanted to do some portrait shots using the 5d whilst I'm here and would be interested if there is a simple fix for this problem.

The card is not corrupt and changing lenses makes no difference so i'm thinking a faulty sensor or logic board.

Thanks for any suggestions, I will check in when I get internet again.

I'm still working (not photography) in France and shooting for pleasure, well at least I was until my Canon 5dmk11 started shooting blanks!

Is this common?

I don't get much internet but have sent a question to Canon UK and am awaiting a reply.

The camera seems to function normally in ever way except when I take the shot... it takes an age to complete it's processing even at 1000 of a second and then presents a blank white/pink/black image. I will still keep shooting with my rx10 but I wanted to do some portrait shots using the 5d whilst I'm here and would be interested if there is a simple fix for this problem.

The card is not corrupt and changing lenses makes no difference so i'm thinking a faulty sensor or logic board.

Thanks for any suggestions, I will check in when I get internet again.

If under warranty I would send it back to Canon in the sincere hope you get a better service than certain other manufacturers I could name. If it's not under Warranty get a quote. Sounds FUBAR..... I hope its not beyond economical repair

Good luck

John

Take the lens cap off? :-)

Seriously though,I had this problem in the 1980s with a film camera and it turned out that the shutter broke and it was a costly repair.

That may or may not be your issue,but send it to Canon.

L

Thanks for the replies. Canon replied to an email suggesting a sensor problem. There had been no deterioration just not recording correctly when i picked it up. Blanks varied between black white and pink stripes. It will go in when i return to the uk.

• 2 months later...

Returned to UK and sent it off to a Canon certified repair centre. My question is, does anyone know if this is a fair price...

Supply and fit New Main circuit – setup, check and test.

Labour             £100.00

Parts                £172.60

VAT                £54.52

Total               £327.12

If I have it returned un-repaired I will be £26.00 out of pocket and still need to get it fixed.

Any suggestions as to price or other options?

Returned to UK and sent it off to a Canon certified repair centre. My question is, does anyone know if this is a fair price...

If I have it returned un-repaired I will be £26.00 out of pocket and still need to get it fixed.

Phone Fixation or ACS for a quote...then compare.

Phone Fixation or ACS for a quote...then compare.

+1 New shutter on my 5d2 at Fixation was just under £300 

Shutter problem showed Error 30 which you're not reporting so possibly not that

Thanks for the suggestions, it looks like swings and roundabouts, ie more expensive labour charges with lower parts prices etc.

Peter, the quote is to replace the whole PCB, so it is probably a more expensive part, but an easier job.

i'm just afraid of being ripped off, so may let them do it and insist they return the broken PCB. along with my repaired camera.

Thanks for the suggestions, it looks like swings and roundabouts, ie more expensive labour charges with lower parts prices etc.

Peter, the quote is to replace the whole PCB, so it is probably a more expensive part, but an easier job.

i'm just afraid of being ripped off, so may let them do it and insist they return the broken PCB. along with my repaired camera.

Realistically I wouldn't think the PCB is repairable, many of the components will be minute - too small to repair. I work with some guys who do PC repairs and I have seen what they do and they have to give best quite often when it comes to component replacement. For example a resistor on a printer control board was less than quarter the size of  an "o", not much bigger than the full stop. You don't hand solder that and the packaaging in a camera will be at the leading edge of miniaturisation.

Martin, I was comparing the different faults, as Peter gave a price for a shutter replacement. I wasn't suggesting it (the PCB) was repairable.

I would be quite happy to buy a PCB and tear down the camera to replace it as a whole unit, the problem is, I wouldn't know how to set it up afterwards.

The company got back to me and assure me they only use Canon genuine parts, and I will go ahead with the repair as I do want t o keep the camera, although I have just submitted stock from the RX10 and it passed quickly.

Archived