can I copy keywords... to another picture?

Hi, I have searched for a possibility but have found nothing. But I think it must be possible. Can I copy the tags - description, keywords and other from picture "x" to a new picture "y" ?

Thank you :)

Pixel,

If you have an imaging editor (eg.Lightroom, iView, PhotoMechanic etc) that can handle batch editing of metadata in your MAC/PC, then it's better to do so before the Alamy Upload. Otherwise, it's Copy/Paste all the way within Manage Images.

Rgds,

Richard.

I have found no button. No batch edition. Just one photo after another. May be there is batch edition opportunity, but I do not know about it.

Keywording in Alamy is a PITA - hard, dull work.  It would be so much easier even with the most basic of editing tools, such as drag and drop.

But there is a way of achieving what you want, if you have a series of images all of which require similar keywords in the same fields:

1.  Sort out the keywords as you want them in each field in one of your images.

2.  Make sure you have another application only to which you can copy and paste.  Even a Word document will do.  I actually use a niftly little freeware yellow sticky post-it note aplication, because this can be configured so that any particular note can be set to "always on top", making it more easily accessible.

3.  Copy the text from each of the fields to the recipient application/sticky note.

4.  Put all your pictures which require the same field entries into the batch list, at the bottom of the screen (about the one thing that you can drag and drop).

5.  Select "keywords" in the batch strip.  Copy each of the fields from your application/sticky note into the appropriate fields here.

When you save your batch of pictures, you will have the same keywords in the respective fields for every one in the batch.  That is often a lot quicker than copying from one, then moving on to the next image, pasting and then doing the same thing over and over again, depending on how many images with similar keywords you have to deal with.

In my opinion, the keywording is the weakest technical feature of Alamy.  You have to wait days for a QC pass, usually by then with quite a large batch of images.  The pleasure/relief of seeing a QC pass is entirely nullified by the grim prospect of then having to keyword a large number of images: hours of boredom, eye-strain and RSI in front of the screen.  If only we could pre-populate the fields as required by Alamy, or could drag and drop, or, even better, if we could keyword in Alamy fields in advance of QC, as and when we upload or while they are awaiting QC, this would be be so much better.  The recent Ask James blog mentioned improving keywording: it cannot come soon enough so far as I am concerned.

Graham

Guest dlmphotog

Off topic...

I don't understand why anyone would not put the description/keywords/copyright  into the Metadata of the original RAW image? Unless I'm reading the post here wrong it seems some photographers only add description/keywords to images once they are uploaded to Alamy. Even if you shoot only JPEG I would think having description/keywords/copyright on your “original” stored on your computer would make finding/using images much easier.

Even with images that have embedded Metadata there is A LOT of cutting-&-pasting to get all the information into the correct boxes.

Back on topic…

Using the batch function in the new manage images would be the easiest way to copy description/keywords and other information from one image to another. But you will still need to cut and paste the description/keywords to another program such as Note or Word then apply them to the images in the batch.

David L. Moore

Off topic...

I don't understand why anyone would not put the description/keywords/copyright  into the Metadata of the original RAW image? Unless I'm reading the post here wrong it seems some photographers only add description/keywords to images once they are uploaded to Alamy. Even if you shoot only JPEG I would think having description/keywords/copyright on your “original” stored on your computer would make finding/using images much easier.

Even with images that have embedded Metadata there is A LOT of cutting-&-pasting to get all the information into the correct boxes.

Back on topic…

Using the batch function in the new manage images would be the easiest way to copy description/keywords and other information from one image to another. But you will still need to cut and paste the description/keywords to another program such as Note or Word then apply them to the images in the batch.

David L. Moore

so what fields in the metadata on the file on pc, are there which gets carried over to alamy?

eg what field would i put in keywords on the file, that i would want to be "essential keywords" or the other fields on alamy?

i have found that each service i use tends to give them all different names, eg, alamy, photoshelter, etc. compared to what the fields on the actual file as i see from irfanview (my image viewer).

thanks

dan

If you are using Lightroom all your keywords will go into the Comprehensive field. You must then copy and paste. There is a program you can get to do more but I've never used it.

Paulette

Guest dlmphotog

so what fields in the metadata on the file on pc, are there which gets carried over to alamy?

eg what field would i put in keywords on the file, that i would want to be "essential keywords" or the other fields on alamy?

i have found that each service i use tends to give them all different names, eg, alamy, photoshelter, etc. compared to what the fields on the actual file as i see from irfanview (my image viewer).

thanks

dan

Dan,

I believe Alamy uses the Date Taken, Description and Keywords. But I also add a Copyright notice and contact info  to all my images.

Now when the images are uploaded to Alamy the Description either ends up in the Caption field if it is shorter than 128 charters or in the Description field if longer. All the keywords end up the Comprehensive Keywords. I don’t know a way (other than the plug-in mentioned above) to have Keywords show up in "Essential Keywords".

I use Adobe Bridge > File Info to add Metadata to my RAW images. I make and save a copyright and contact template that is applied to every image and then I use the Description and Keywords fields to input the… you guessed it, the Description and Keywords.

I use the “New Version” of “Manage Images” for setting attributes for batches of images at a time I then use the “Old Version” of “Manage Images” to cut and paste Description, Keywords and Location into their proper places.

David L. Moore

If you are using Lightroom all your keywords will go into the Comprehensive field. You must then copy and paste. There is a program you can get to do more but I've never used it.

Paulette

That´s the plugin, I´ve recommended above.  :rolleyes:

Off topic...

Back on topic…

David L. Moore

But surely all keywords go into Comprehensive and then you have to copy and paste from there. if you do not have the LR manager programme, then to me it easier to to keyword direct into Alamy. 

Guest dlmphotog

Trevor,

Getting back to my original off topic point… if you keyword direct to Alamy then the original images that you keep on your computer don’t have Metadata such as description/keywords/copyright?

Everyone has to find a workflow that suits their style. I wish there was a plug-in for Adobe Bridge it would save me a lot of extra work.

David L. Moore

Archived