Anyone Familiar with Stockbox Photo Software?

My hubby bought me this software as he figured it was cheaper in the long haul to own the software than pay a monthly fee to other hosts.

Anyway, I got it started

http://jkmorganphotography.com/store

But configuring it to my specs will take some long time learning.

Surprisingly, I couldn't find a forum for this software online. It gets fab reviews everywhere so looks promising. Figured a good place for not only my stock here, but for photos that couldn't make the cut and I can sell smaller.

Would love some input on this.

Jill

It looks nice;I'm poking around.However,do you want a SHARE button to be active? It just gives permission for others to steal your photos.

I don't figure how you think it might be cheaper than a real photo host.  The software is $600-$1000.00 USD

Also,From their site:
"

One time license fee - the license fee is a one time payment that includes 12 months of support and any updates released in that period. After the initial 12 months you can continue to use the software as long as you like without further payment and if you want, you can continue to receive support and updates for additional 12 month periods at a cost of $120 for the Pro. license or $240 for the Ent. license."

I have Smugmug with over 500,000 high res images.Only about 20,000 are visible,the rest is for clients or business end are are private and not searchable or visible.

I pay appx $150 a year and can also upload video. No cap on how many photos I can upload.

I have Zenfolio for my celebrity archive site with appx 61,000 high res images and now pay appx $140 a year,unlimited.

If I were hosting these on my own domains I would be paying a FORTUNE in fees because of all the hits I get on a daily basis.

Both of my domains have the same host of which I pay $8 a month(for both) and my sites forward to my smug and zen accts under my name or my agency name.

I use a statcounter so I can see the IP and sometimes the company name of who is accessing my site and what they are searching for.

I don't have my domains open to google search. That would be inviting more infringers. I see a lot of Russian sites trying to hack in as it is.

I know a lot of these out of the box web host photo galleries were for sale years ago and all the companies folded leaving users stuck with security holes and other problems.

L

It looks nice;I'm poking around.However,do you want a SHARE button to be active? It just gives permission for others to steal your photos.

L

Thats oine of the things I have to figure out how to remove. Have to go to the media.tpl file and get it out of there as there is no way I want to share my stuff.

Jill

I don't figure how you think it might be cheaper than a real photo host. The software is $600-$1000.00 USD

Also,From their site:

"

One time license fee - the license fee is a one time payment that includes 12 months of support and any updates released in that period. After the initial 12 months you can continue to use the software as long as you like without further payment and if you want, you can continue to receive support and updates for additional 12 month periods at a cost of $120 for the Pro. license or $240 for the Ent. license."

I have Smugmug with over 500,000 high res images.Only about 20,000 are visible,the rest is for clients or business end are are private and not searchable or visible.

I pay appx $150 a year and can also upload video. No cap on how many photos I can upload.

I have Zenfolio for my celebrity archive site with appx 61,000 high res images and now pay appx $140 a year,unlimited.

If I were hosting these on my own domains I would be paying a FORTUNE in fees because of all the hits I get on a daily basis.

Both of my domains have the same host of which I pay $8 a month(for both) and my sites forward to my smug and zen accts under my name or my agency name.

I use a statcounter so I can see the IP and sometimes the company name of who is accessing my site and what they are searching for.

I don't have my domains open to google search. That would be inviting more infringers. I see a lot of Russian sites trying to hack in as it is.

I know a lot of these out of the box web host photo galleries were for sale years ago and all the companies folded leaving users stuck with security holes and other problems.

L

I don't have anywhere near the pics you have, and probably won't ever get that high.

How did you get your Zenfolio so cheap? When I go to their site, the unlimited is $60/mo. which is $720 year. The basic just allows 4gb + 2gb per year, which is like nothing.

Smugmug seems not bad, but I see they also take 15% as well as the $120.

I rarely need support, as I am quite computer savvy. Built lots of ecommerce sites using X-cart, Zencart, Cubecart, Magento and a few others. Once I get familiar with the backend, I'm usually all right. Built the site you see in my signature.as well as the one for my dog collar business.

My hubby says he had some kind of discount but won't tell me what.

Anyway, have it now so I shall put it to good use. Probably let my son put some shots on there. Never hurts to have somewhere else to put my pics.

Jill

I've never used ZenFolio but $60/month sounds like a lot. I currently have a standard account with PhotoShelter that gives me 135 GB for $30/month. I thought ZenFolio was less expensive.

PhotoShelter does have a Pro Account that's more expensive but unless you already have a huge number of photos it's better to start off with a less expensive account. After more than 10 years on PhotoShelter I'm using less than 10% of my allottment.

fD

I was surprised by the $60 a month too since I am paying $140 a year for their Premium plan. Their Basic Unlimited plan is $60 a YEAR. So I think you read it incorrectly. I have been happy with them. The only annoyance is frequent emails giving me discounts on prints from MPIX. Nothing to complain about.

Paulette

You're right Paulette, I did read it wrong. Man, old age is setting in fast.

Have the software now, so I shall plunge forward. Would love to hear from anyone else who has used it, if they are out there anywhere!

Jill

• 6 months later...

Purchased StockBox Photo Professional Software in 2011. I am impressed with all it's functionality, but stuck with limited features with the Pro version due to budget. I did not ever implement into my business and my hosting company upgraded to PHP version 5.4 and the site broke. I tried to fix myself but I need to upgrade support first.

I think I will upgrade to the Enterprise version to really give it a go. Your initial inquiry about others trying this software reminded me how I felt about being a little out there and unsure. I have been exploring other photography portfolio website technologies i.e. photoshelter, smugmug, pixieset, etc., trying to find a simpler solution. All seem to wind up being too simple and frustrating. I realize now what I wanted was more of a "thing" to be a part of, and StockBox Photo is really a programmers out-of-the-box tool. 

What is your latest experience with this? Let me know how it has worked out for you.

Thanks.

Purchased StockBox Photo Professional Software in 2011. I am impressed with all it's functionality, but stuck with limited features with the Pro version due to budget. I did not ever implement into my business and my hosting company upgraded to PHP version 5.4 and the site broke. I tried to fix myself but I need to upgrade support first.

I think I will upgrade to the Enterprise version to really give it a go. Your initial inquiry about others trying this software reminded me how I felt about being a little out there and unsure. I have been exploring other photography portfolio website technologies i.e. photoshelter, smugmug, pixieset, etc., trying to find a simpler solution. All seem to wind up being too simple and frustrating. I realize now what I wanted was more of a "thing" to be a part of, and StockBox Photo is really a programmers out-of-the-box tool. 

What is your latest experience with this? Let me know how it has worked out for you.

Thanks.

It is coming along nice. I need to redo my licencing costing as I based it on Alamy's and they come out way too expensive for today's market. From using info from this forum, very few sales ever go above $250, and those seem rare. So going to balance out  my costs a bit to be a bit more than Alamy, but not outrageously so.

Haven't sold anything yet, and not sure if I will, but still tweeking, and since I have it, no point in not using it.

You can click on the link in my signature to see how its going.

Jill

Zenfolio is $140.00 per year! I've been with them for many years since fleeing Photoshelter.

Refer people that use your credit you get a discount. One year I didn't even have to pay. I am sure they have a free trial too.

To date I have 65,000 high res images on the site. My site is password protected though and only clients get the viewing password.

Here is my code if you want to check it out:

CNZ-5BD-HBQ

http://www.zenfolio.com

L

Zenfolio is $140.00 per year! I've been with them for many years since fleeing Photoshelter.

Refer people that use your credit you get a discount. One year I didn't even have to pay. I am sure they have a free trial too.

To date I have 65,000 high res images on the site. My site is password protected though and only clients get the viewing password.

CNZ-5BD-HBQ

L

I've been trying the Zenfolio free trial and tweaking away for a bit, it was due to run out today, so I used your code to sign up, thanks Linda, BUT it's a bit dearer to get the full package, I got the one below which is £140 PA but includes shopping cart and product fulfillment from their partners, both UK and worldwide.

CNZ-5BD-HBQ

L

I've been trying the Zenfolio free trial and tweaking away for a bit, it was due to run out today, so I used your code to sign up, thanks Linda, BUT it's a bit dearer to get the full package, I got the one below which is £140 PA but includes shopping cart and product fulfillment from their partners, both UK and worldwide.

Thank you! Support is very quick and good with them if you ever need help. So far so good over there for me.I think it must be about 6-7 years for me now.

L

Zenfolio do seem to charge different prices in different countries. I somehow managed to get the US$, which was a bit less than the Aussie dollar price, but I may have been lucky. Seems like most IT things, it's USA customers that get the best prices. 

Archived