"News" vs. "Sports" vs. "Entertainment"

After submitting a lot of news images, I have a question that has dawned on me.  I don't believe Alamy has provided specific details on the difference between "News" vs. "Sports" vs. "Entertainment".

It's clear to me what "Sports" images are - those images relating to sports events.

The thing I'm unsure of is the difference between "News" and "Entertainment".  I noticed there were a few groups of images of PrideFest around the world uploaded to both news and entertainment.  I have uploaded images of festivals to entertainment.

Is the "Entertainment" section meant to be specifically for red carpet events and concerts or is it also open to other "entertainment" type events like festivals?

....and if I have images of people in my area (not at the World Cup) watching World Cup events does that get uploaded to news or to entertainment.....or is it related to sports?

Has anyone received guidance specifically from Alamy?

I've wondered the same thing. Have never asked Alamy, though. It probably doesn't make much difference in some cases. Usually, I check "Entertainment" for music festivals and the like. I would think that PrideFest is closer to being "News," but of course it is also entertaining. Am I going around in circles? Perhaps allowing us to check both the "News" and "Entertainment" boxes would make sense in cases like these.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm only just getting started on my journey into news photography but my take on it is that surely it should be driven by the expected end use by the purchaser - that is, I ask myself 'where would I most likely find this image being used in a newspaper'? For example, I would expect to find general pictures of a music festival in the entertainment/supplement/magazine sections; however, a picture of muddy revellers in a Glastonbury field during a period of newsworthy bad weather I would expect to find in the news/current affairs/local news type sections. 

Archived