I have recently been asked for advice about which camera to buy – preferably one with interchangeable lenses, good for photo and video.

The budget is @£700 – or equivalent, as it maybe bought in the USA (Los Angeles)

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Well, don't laugh but the Nikon 1 V1 [the V2 may become heavily discounted soon but there is not a huge difference in IQ ] is really worth considering.

One inch sensors have now become "de rigeur" after the laughter died down when Nikon introduced the "1" system.

They punch above their weight, have some v  good lenses, have really good autofocus, well built and small and are "good for photo and video". The V1 is on Alamy's acceptable camera list.

You can buy a Nikon V1 with kit lens for about £250-£300 new which leaves some money to spare......

A second hand Canon 5D Mk II would be just about doable,  with you budget. Probably the back only. But, it is a very capable SLR and will shoot HDR video as well! You might have  to compromise on condition somewhat to get one in you budget range.   I own one myself and  I have been very pleased with its' performance and the quality of image it can produce.

Just about any brand will deliver good images. A better recommendation would be to pick up and actually handle several different brands/models and get the one that fits best.

I shoot Pentax because the ergonomics are the best I could find for my particular hands and needs. Far better a camera you love to hold and use than one that is popular or recommended by someone else. YMMV

You (or your colleague) needs to draw up a list of priorities, and what you are prepared to sacrifice.

One of the best buys at the moment for under £700 is a Nikon D5300 with a 18-55mm kit lens. This camera has the same sensor as a D7100 (24mp with no a low pass filter). So probably the best cropped sensor camera for landscape work. But not so good for clothes or interiors. Other disadvantages: ergonomics are not the best, the viewfinder isn't great, it's not weather sealed and you can't use older Nikon lenses.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d5300

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Having posted this I just checked current prices for the D7100. Avoiding the grey market you can now get a body for a little over £800. Of course with a lens and bits and bobs, this will be over £1000. But it lacks some of the disadvantages of the D5300 mentioned above.

Archived