When Keywording In PS is there somewhere to put the caption?

I'm really enjoying pre-keywording in Photoshop. (Thanks Betty). Doing up the templates helps a lot for similar subjects. But is there a place to put the caption? I thought in "Document title" but none of mine came through when they cleared yesterday.

Jill

Title is useful for news images (it's what you see at the top of every news image on the news page)

Caption is the Caption field and it shows up in Alamy either on the Caption or the Description field on import depending on the length

Title is useful for news images (it's what you see at the top of every news image on the news page)

Caption is the Caption field and it shows up in Alamy either on the Caption or the Description field on import depending on the length

I don't have any caption field in my choices. There is a description field though.

Jill

The Description Field in Photoshop will import into Alamy as either the Caption or Description field on import.  It depends on the length of your description.

Thanks Ed. I'll try it with my next set of uploads.

Jill

I've been writing captions in MSWord to check for length in File > Properties > Statistics. If it totals fewer than 128 characters and spaces, I paste in PS Description. Works fine.

I'm really enjoying pre-keywording in Photoshop. (Thanks Betty). Doing up the templates helps a lot for similar subjects. But is there a place to put the caption? I thought in "Document title" but none of mine came through when they cleared yesterday.

Jill

You are welcome.  And no on the caption.  Once I apply a template to an image or to several at the same time (say you have a vertical and horizontal) I then type in the caption in IPTC field.  I don't worry about word length, if it is over 128 characters, it ends up in description. From there, I can just copy a portion of it for the caption, or write one from scratch.

Templates are really important to anyone who shoots nature, animals, and such.  We should all have the scientific name in our keywords, and it is very unwieldy to have a list in a notebook to search through.  As long as you carefully title your template (Bengal Tiger, scientific name) you know you can find it pretty easy because the template list is alphabetical. 

Come to think of it, that template title might show up in the caption. But I always add to it in the IPTC field.  This is all so automatic for me after years I almost need to apply one to see if the title in the template ends up in the caption if I don't mess with it.

Jill

You are welcome.  And no on the caption.  Once I apply a template to an image or to several at the same time (say you have a vertical and horizontal) I then type in the caption in IPTC field.  I don't worry about word length, if it is over 128 characters, it ends up in description. From there, I can just copy a portion of it for the caption, or write one from scratch.

Templates are really important to anyone who shoots nature, animals, and such.  We should all have the scientific name in our keywords, and it is very unwieldy to have a list in a notebook to search through.  As long as you carefully title your template (Bengal Tiger, scientific name) you know you can find it pretty easy because the template list is alphabetical. 

Come to think of it, that template title might show up in the caption. But I always add to it in the IPTC field.  This is all so automatic for me after years I almost need to apply one to see if the title in the template ends up in the caption if I don't mess with it.

HI Betty,

How do you make your templates in Photoshop?

Jill

HI Betty,

When I keyword a particular subject in Bridge, a subject I believe I'll photograph a few to many times in the future, while that particular image is still highlighted, I go to (up top) Tools>Create Metadata Template.

All the keywords you just applied for the first time for that subject appear in this template.  At the very top of this form is "Template Name".  This is important, because you should put for instance, American Robin, scientific name.  This title is what will help you find the template next time you want it.  Then I tweak the keywords.

Say my robin is perched on a cedar fence, and I have "cedar fence" in my keywords.  I'll remove "cedar fence" because the next robin I apply the template to may be in a tree. But all the keywords that would apply across the board, American Robin, Turdus migratorius,bird,birds,animal,animals,nature,outdoors, and such remains. Be sure to tick the boxes to the left for everything you want saved in the template.   When you are done, you save the template.  

The next time you want to keyword an American Robin, you highlight the image in Bridge, go to Tools>Append Metadata.  Your American Robin template shows up in a list of other templates in alphabetical order. You click on it and all the keywords in it show up in your new image.  Then you add any extra keywords that apply specifically to that image, like: tree,trees,oak,eating,feeding,etc.

I created a basic template that has all my personal information.  Name, address, phone, copyright info.  When I have images I have no template for, an image that doesn't really fall into a category and one I don't want to create a template for, I apply this basic one, then input keywords in Bridge.

Creating templates is so helpful.  I don't mind looking up the scientific names once, but hate doing it over and over and over. Templates fix that.  If you have 10 new American Robin pictures you want to keyword, you highlight all 10 and apply the template to all of them. Magic.

Betty

I created a basic template that has all my personal information.  Name, address, phone, copyright info.  When I have images I have no template for, an image that doesn't really fall into a category and one I don't want to create a template for, I apply this basic one, then input keywords in Bridge.

Creating templates is so helpful.  I don't mind looking up the scientific names once, but hate doing it over and over and over. Templates fix that.  If you have 10 new American Robin pictures you want to keyword, you highlight all 10 and apply the template to all of them. Magic.

Betty

That was the first thing I did too. And named it Basic.

Jill

Betty

That was the first thing I did too. And named it Basic.

Jill

Like minds. :)

Jill

HI Betty,

When I keyword a particular subject in Bridge, a subject I believe I'll photograph a few to many times in the future, while that particular image is still highlighted, I go to (up top) Tools>Create Metadata Template.

All the keywords you just applied for the first time for that subject appear in this template.  At the very top of this form is "Template Name".  This is important, because you should put for instance, American Robin, scientific name.  This title is what will help you find the template next time you want it.  Then I tweak the keywords.

Say my robin is perched on a cedar fence, and I have "cedar fence" in my keywords.  I'll remove "cedar fence" because the next robin I apply the template to may be in a tree. But all the keywords that would apply across the board, American Robin, Turdus migratorius,bird,birds,animal,animals,nature,outdoors, and such remains. Be sure to tick the boxes to the left for everything you want saved in the template.   When you are done, you save the template.  

The next time you want to keyword an American Robin, you highlight the image in Bridge, go to Tools>Append Metadata.  Your American Robin template shows up in a list of other templates in alphabetical order. You click on it and all the keywords in it show up in your new image.  Then you add any extra keywords that apply specifically to that image, like: tree,trees,oak,eating,feeding,etc.

Betty

Thanks Betty.  I see you are talking about Bridge not Photoshop but thanks for the info anyways.

Jill

HI Betty,

Betty

Thanks Betty.  I see you are talking about Bridge not Photoshop but thanks for the info anyways.

Bridge comes with Photoshop. In the File drop down list there should be a choice to Browse In Bridge. Click on that and Bridge will open.

Jill

Jill

HI Betty,

Betty

Do you not browse in Bridge, which comes with Photoshop?  Bridge is where I view my images, rate them, delete the low rated ones.  I may or may not import what's left into LR. Once developed there, back into Photoshop for anything else, save in Tiff.   Then, in Bridge, that's where I do my keywording.  If you do your keywording in LR, I can see why you are not familiar with Bridge.  Is that the case?  Anyway, that's where you apply templates.

Archived